Ben Foster: ‘Boredom’ ended Van der Sar’s Man Utd career early

Watford goalkeeper Ben Foster believes former Manchester United shot-stopper Edwin van der Sar ended his career prematurely.

The two shared a spell together at the Old Trafford club but the Dutchman was regarded as United’s number one.

Just how good was Van der Sar at Man Utd? Five things to know…

  1. Man Utd signed Edwin van der Sar from Fulham for just £2 million in 2005.
  2. The Dutchman won four Premier League titles, including three title wins in a row between 2006 and 2008.
  3. He also made the match-winning penalty save against Chelsea to win the Champions League in 2008.
  4. He currently holds the record for consecutive clean sheets (14) in the Premier League.
  5. Ben Foster recently beat Petr Cech’s record of most saves in the Premier League, currently on 1,012 saves.

Speaking to reporters, Foster admitted he feels his former teammate left the game far too early.

Van der Sar retired at 41, with the current Hornet believing the former Fulham goalkeeper had the fitness and ability to play for a few more years.

Foster said: “I was with Van der Sar at United and when he actually signed for them I think he was 35 and he learnt how to look after himself properly and he knew how to make himself fit for the Saturday.

“I watched him go year after year after year and actually when he retired he could have gone for another two or three years, I think he just got bored in the end. He was too good and I learnt a lot from him.”

Subscribe to Squawka’s Youtube channel: sqwk.at/Squawka-Sub

“I’m aiming for 40!”

Foster is enjoying life in football at the moment, with Watford proving to be one of the sides that has established themselves as the ‘best of the rest’.

Moving back to the club in the summer for his second spell with the Hornets, Javi Gracia’s side are currently sitting in eighth place. The former England international is enjoying life so much that he feels he can continue to play at this level for a few more years to come.

He said: “I can carry on for as long as I want. I feel brilliant.

“I have always said about my knees, but touch wood they have been brilliant lately and so two, three, four more years.

“I’m trying to get to that 40-year mark. I’m training most of the time and I’m enjoying it.”

The post Ben Foster: ‘Boredom’ ended Van der Sar’s Man Utd career early appeared first on Squawka News.



From Squawka News http://bit.ly/2DhBDHY

No comments:

Post a Comment