Roberto Firmino: I’d play in goal if it helped Liverpool

Liverpool forward Roberto Firmino has jokingly revealed that he would “play in goal” for the club if it would improve their chances of success this season.

The Reds face rivals Manchester United this afternoon in the Premier League, with Jurgen Klopp’s side needing a win to return to the top of the table.

The Firmino effect: Five things you need to know…

  1.  Firmino moved to Liverpool in 2015 from Bundesliga side Hoffenheim for a transfer fee of £29 million.
  2. The Brazilian has made 179 appearances for the Reds, scoring 61 goals.
  3. Firmino has formed a lethal attacking threat with Mohamed Salah and Sadio Mane, with the three stars scoring a combined 91 goals last season.
  4. This season, Liverpool are second in the Premier League behind Manchester City but they have a game in hand.
  5. That game in hand is against Manchester United at Old Trafford this afternoon.

Speaking to reporters (via the Liverpool Echo) Firmino was discussing the various different positions he has played in throughout his professional career.

Switching between being Liverpool’s frontman, playing out wide and slightly deeper, Firmino has admitted that he would be willing to play anywhere on the football pitch to help the club’s cause.

Firmino said: “I started off as a holding midfielder for my local team, CRB (Clube de Regatas Brasil). It was only as I went through the age groups that I started to change into more of an attacking midfielder.

“Would I play there again? Oh, definitely. I would even play in goal if that helped the team. I’d do anything.”

Subscribe to Squawka’s Youtube channel: sqwk.at/Squawka-Sub

Klopp is a “father figure”

Firmino was discussing life under manager Klopp, who like Firmino moved to the Merseyside club from Germany, with Klopp swapping Borussia Dortmund for the Reds.

The Brazilian couldn’t help but heap praise upon his manager who is hoping to lead Liverpool to their first Premier League title in 29 years.

Firmino continued: “I’ve learned so much from Klopp. We knew each other a bit in Germany. I played against his Dortmund side for Hoffenheim a few times and scored goals against him. I was really pleased when he arrived here.

“Of course, I had to show him what I could do in order to play. But I’ve learned a lot from him. He’s a father figure, so passionate.

“He’s completely changed the team in terms of tactics and everything else. We’ve improved and grown with him.”

The post Roberto Firmino: I’d play in goal if it helped Liverpool appeared first on Squawka News.



From Squawka News https://ift.tt/2SjW8ZX

No comments:

Post a Comment