Winks not feeling the pressure of replacing Dembele

Harry Winks insists he is not feeling the pressure of replacing Mousa Dembele in Tottenham Hotspur’s midfield.

Dembele joined Chinese Super League club Guangzhou R&F last month, bringing to an end a seven-year stay in north London.

Is Winks Tottenham’s new Dembele? Five key things to know…

  1. Dembele gradually became a regular under Mauricio Pochettino’s management after rediscovering his best role in central midfield.
  2. But injuries and fitness issues – combined with the fact his contract was running down – saw Dembele leave for China in January.
  3. Winks has stepped into Dembele’s shoes this term and has played every minute in each of Spurs’ last eight Premier League games.
  4. However, Winks disputes suggestions he has directly replaced Dembele, hinting the team has collectively made up for the Belgian’s absence.
  5. Winks has scored just one goal since the start of last season – remarkably, that’s one more than Dembele managed in that time.

In the absence of Dembele and Eric Dier, Winks has played in a deep midfield role alongside Moussa Sissoko in recent weeks.

But the England international insists there is no pressure on him to replicate Dembele.

“I learned a lot from Mousa. He was a humble guy and a nice person to speak to. On the pitch he was one of the best players I’ve ever played with,” Winks said, according to the London Evening Standard.

Subscribe to Squawka’s Youtube channel: sqwk.at/Squawka-Sub

“I don’t feel the pressure [of having to replace him]. We have got a lot of good players who can step up and I don’t consider myself to have taken Mousa’s place.

“Scoring is something I’d love to improve on and bring into my game. I need to improve on my shooting and finishing because it’s not great.”

Winks: I try not to worry about ankle pain

Between his league debut for Tottenham and his exit, Dembele recorded a better dribble success rate (77.87%) than any other Premier League player (with a minimum of 200 attempted dribbles).

Winks has a dribble success rate of 72.22% this season, which isn’t bad at all. But, like Dembele, Winks must be careful not to worsen an ongoing ankle problem.

The 22-year-old doesn’t seem to have altered his game to avoid further injuries but admits he has played through pain at times.

He added: “Yeah, I have niggles in my ankle, which I’m managing to play with. I have managed to somehow put that to the back of my mind. I try not worry or overthink it too much.

“This season has been fantastic. I set some aims – just to play as many games as possible and stay fit all season. So far, so good. I’ve played a lot of matches and, fingers crossed, I will stay injury-free.”

The post Winks not feeling the pressure of replacing Dembele appeared first on Squawka News.



From Squawka News http://bit.ly/2Saq6UW

No comments:

Post a Comment