Yerry Mina: World Cup was my chance for payback after training alone at Barcelona

Everton newcomer Yerry Mina has claimed he was made to train alone at Barcelona but exacted “payback” on the club after producing a fine World Cup campaign.

Mina, 24, relocated to Merseyside after producing a number of scintillating performances during the World Cup over the summer, notably netting the equalising goal that sent Colombia to a penalty shoot-out with England.

The South American side would ultimately lose the round-of016 encounter, but Mina was a formidable force at the back for Los Cafeteros and subsequently attracted interest from a number of Europe’s elite.

Manchester United were touted as front runners for his signature but the Toffees recruited the mountainous centre-back for £27m, and Mina believes his tumultuous experience in Catalonia spurred his fine form over the summer.

“I am a big believer in not looking back,” he told The Telegraph.

“The important thing is to keep looking forward and focus on what is ahead. I tried my best in Barcelona, I trained really hard. I trained with the group a lot of the time but then I would find out that I was not in the travelling group.

“I spent that time training alone so that I was fit and ready for when the manager called on me. It wasn’t to be.

“But all that you do when you are not picked – whatever club you are at – is perform as hard and well as you can in training so that the manager puts you in consideration.

“When the summer came, the World Cup was like payback. It was my chance to show what I can do.

“More than anything, it was a chance to do what I love doing – playing football! Now it is all about what I can achieve with this great club.”

Mina has found playing time limited this season with a foot injury keeping him out of action, and while he has found it difficult to supplant either Kurt Zouma or Michael Keane, who have formed a solid partnership, the Colombian got his first start against Chelsea helping to keep a clean sheet in a goalless draw.

Mina relishing Kane clash

Mina was tasked with handling Harry Kane during the Three Lions’ clash against Colombia, and while the Spurs man found the back of the net – albeit from the penalty spot – Everton’s new defender has revealed he is looking forward to once more facing the lethal marksman.

He added: “It was a great fight. It was such an important game for both teams. I’m looking forward to the chance to play against him again in the league. I hope I can give a good account of myself in that game too.”

After the draw with Chelsea, the Toffees now turn their attention to Cardiff after the international break.

The post Yerry Mina: World Cup was my chance for payback after training alone at Barcelona appeared first on Squawka News.



From Squawka NewsSquawka News https://ift.tt/2OCO3xG

No comments:

Post a Comment