Lukaku: I would go through a brick wall for Mourinho

Manchester United striker Romelu Lukaku has revealed his admiration for club boss Jose Mourinho, claiming that he would “go through a brick wall” for him.

The Belgium international has struggled for consistency this season and has seen his place in the first-team come under threat.

What makes Mourinho so special for Lukaku? five things you need to know

  1. Lukaku moved to Old Trafford in 2017 after Mourinho convinced Man Utd to spend £75 million on the striker.
  2. Since his move, he has scored 31 goals in 67 matches in all competitions for the Red Devils.
  3. This season has seen his goalscoring form dry up with just four Premier League strikes in 12 matches.
  4. But, the Belgian believes he is one of Mourinho’s favourite players due to his devotion to the manager.
  5. Lukaku hasn’t scored since United’s away win at Watford in mid-September, a run of 10 games.

The last few matches have seen Lukaku play just 23 minutes against his former side Everton. He missed the club’s 2-1 away win at Bournemouth with a muscle injury and started from the bench in their Manchester derby loss to Manchester City.

Despite his torrid time of late, Lukaku has insisted that he has the utmost respect for Mourinho and would do anything to please his boss on the football pitch.

Speaking to Bleacher Report, Lukaku was asked about whether he was one of Mourinho’s favourite players. Lukaku said: “One of them, yeah. Because I would go through a brick wall for him. And he knows that.

“He’s the type of coach where he would be honest with you and tell you how it is. And if you cannot deal with that, that’s a big problem.”

Lukaku also spoke of the differences between playing under Mourinho at Chelsea and United, having joined the Blues as a teenager.

“Working under him when I was 24 is totally different than working under him when I was 19, 20,” he added.

“When I was 19 or 20, it was hard on me. Oh, s***. The guy was tough. But I was doing everything so well.

“But he was still tough. But now, 24, I understand him. I understand him now. I became better, I improved as a player. A guy like him, he doesn’t want to compete to be number two or something. He wants to be number one.”

Lukaku’s take on criticism and his footballing future at Man Utd

Naturally, Lukaku’s offish form has seen criticism aimed his way. Former club midfielder Paul Scholes has hit out at Lukaku’s play of late, which the current United striker believes is just part of Scholes’ job to offer a strong opinion.

“I really don’t respond to him. When I see him before the TV, he still shakes my hand. And then do like everything is normal.

“Guys who are pundits right now, these days, they get paid to say stuff. But when you see them face to face, you don’t see all that. So, I don’t really care.”

The former Chelsea and Toffees man has insisted that his latest goal drought does concern him but he aims to rectify that and go on to have a highly successful career at Old Trafford.

“Lately? That bothers myself because I’m a goalscorer, I want to score goals. I think I’m known for scoring goals. So that’s something that bothers me really.

“Obviously you sign here to win as much trophies as you can. How long I’m going to be here depends on how long they want me here, you know? I will always give my best to this club, because they gave me the opportunity to play and compete in the best league. So I’m always grateful for that.

The post Lukaku: I would go through a brick wall for Mourinho appeared first on Squawka News.



From Squawka NewsSquawka News https://ift.tt/2r9Q4b8

No comments:

Post a Comment