Pochettino not expecting ban for Mike Dean incident

Tottenham Hotspur manager Mauricio Pochettino has revealed he does not expect to be banned for his verbal confrontation with referee Mike Dean. 

The altercation came after Burnley beat Spurs 2-1 at Turf Moor, effectively ending the north London side’s title hopes, with Pochettino being formally charged by the FA.

Pochettino’s words with Dean: Five things to know…

  1. Mauricio Pochettino is generally known for being a calm, collected manager who places a premium on respect in football.
  2. However following Spurs’ away loss at Burnley, Pochettino took umbrage at the officials wrongly awarding a corner which Ashley Barnes scored from.
  3. The two, as well as Pochettino’s assistant manager Jesus Perez were then seen arguing, with the two Spurs men uncharacteristically animated.
  4. The Tottenham management were heard saying “You can’t say that”, in relation to something Dean said which is yet to be made publicly known.
  5. But while Pochettino has accepted the charge from the FA, the Argentinian is not expecting a ban.

Pochettino is still waiting to discover the extent of his punishment, with some predicting a touchline ban is on the cards for the Spurs boss.

But the Argentinian has other ideas, feeling a ban would be unfair – though he revealed he would accept whatever punishment is thrown his way.

“A ban, why? I don’t believe that it’s going to happen,” he told reporters.

“I don’t think that’s going to be fair. Do you think it’s fair? For what? For what? It was a conversation, no? Maybe it was close but it was a conversation.

Subscribe to Squawka’s Youtube channel: sqwk.at/Squawka-Sub

“I don’t believe it’s fair. But I’m going to accept if they ban me and I can’t be in the dugout against Southampton. I am going to accept.

“It’s different if it’s fair or not. I don’t believe it is but I’m going to trust the FA and accept what they say.”

Tottenham next face Arsenal in the Premier League on Saturday afternoon, but any potential ban for Pochettino is expected to take place in their next game against Southampton on March 9.

Pochettino apologises to Mike Dean 

Following his charge for the altercation, Pochettino was quick to admit his error, apologising to Dean, though he did not divulge the contents of the conversation.

“I will accept that charge,” Pochettino told reporters before Tottenham’s match against Chelsea. “Watching after on the video, my behaviour, I think I need to accept the charge from the FA. I’m not going to ask [for a personal hearing].

“At the same time I need to apologise to Mike Dean. Right or wrong in the way that I wanted to complain, I cannot behave in that way. My behaviour was public and now I want to apologise in public way too.

“Always I need to tell you I never lost control — I was under control — but of course in that moment the thing happened.

“I think it’s going to help me and I hope I don’t repeat this type of situation. It’s not going to help my team, my club, the job of the referees and of course myself. I think I’m a very smart person who cannot repeat the same mistake.

“I told you that for me it was the most important game to play, to put pressure on the opponents and the teams above us, and that’s why [it happened].

“I was so frustrated after the game, so disappointed with the result. I didn’t want to justify the defeat and complain with the referee. It’s only that when you start to talk, your heart-rate starts to push.”

The post Pochettino not expecting ban for Mike Dean incident appeared first on Squawka News.



From Squawka News https://ift.tt/2IJ0TMZ

No comments:

Post a Comment