Cristiano Ronaldo’s Man Utd heir admits leaving Old Trafford was the best moment of his life

Bebe says leaving Manchester United was the best moment of his life because it allowed him to realise his dream of playing for Benfica. 

Bebe was signed from Vitória de Guimarães back in 2010 for a move worth around £7m after Carlos Queiroz, who was the assistant coach with United at the time, suggested the move to Sir Alex Ferguson.

What happened to Bebe since he left Old Trafford? Five things to know… 

  1. Bebe only made two Premier League appearances for United.
  2. And made only seven senior appearances for the club across all competitions.
  3. The 28-year-old forward effectively left United in 2011 when he spent three years on loan before transferring to Benfica in 2014.
  4. He only made six appearances for his “dream” club over two seasons.
  5. He now plays for Rayo Vallecano after leaving Benfica in 2016.

The Portuguese forward described his stint with the Red Devils as a “bad time” and that leaving the club was the “best moment” of his life.

“Every day I called my agent to ask him to get me out. It was a bad time. When you do not play, even if you are at a great club, then you are not happy, so why continue?” Bebe told Goal.

“I remember that I was going for a United game with the youth team, and my agent called me and told me I had been sold to Benfica. It was the best moment of my life!”

“I am a ‘Benfiquista’, it was a dream to play there because all my friends and my family supported Benfica. I did not sleep that day! I spent the whole day awake.”

The decision to sign Bebe was one of the more perplexing ones Ferguson made during his glittering tenure at Old Trafford along with selling Paul Pogba and signing Dong Fangzhou.

Bebe was surprised as everyone else when he was told of United’s interest in him and claims he thought the whole thing was a lie before he spoke to Ferguson.

“I went to Carrington, I met all the players for the first time but I still thought that it was a lie! But the moment I spoke with Ferguson, that was when I thought: ‘finally I am here’. I started believing it in my head on that day, it took a lot to believe it!”

Despite the lack of success Bebe had at Old Trafford he says he has no regrets.

“I can’t regret something that has given me so much food, that changed my life and the life of my family. United gave me everything. That’s where everything started for me.

“I could have a car, a house, I could buy things that I couldn’t have bought before. I could help my family and friends in things they couldn’t do… I do not regret anything. It was a very good decision from me and my agent.”

In 2015, Bebe also sensationally hinted that his style of play was reminiscent of former Manchester United and all-time football great Cristiano Ronaldo.

In an interview with the Spanish newspaper AS, Bébé said when asked who his idol was: “(Didier) Drogba, but also Cristiano because he’s Portuguese. I have the same way of running, and the same shooting style; he’s definitely a favourite.”

 

Ferguson’s transfer flops

Generally speaking, Sir Alex made sound judgements in the transfer market and was renowned for developing young players. Due to their youth, Fergie was derided by many for giving United’s infamous Class of 92 a prominent role in the first team in the early nineties, but the decision paid off.

In the market, United’s legendary manager brought in world-class players like Eric Cantona, Wayne Rooney, Rio Ferdinand and Cristiano Ronaldo, but not all of his choices were winners.

Sebastian Veron was signed for £28.1m in 2001 and despite the Argentine’s clear talents he struggled to establish himself at the club and was ultimately let go after two seasons.

Diego Forlan was another high-profile player that didn’t make the grade at Old Trafford. Despite grabbing a brace against fierce rivals Liverpool at Anfield, the Argentine did little else to justify his £6.9m fee and will be remembered for his inability to find the net in 27 games before his first goal for the club.

Despite those flops, Ferguson’s record in the transfer market was far better than the managers who’ve succeeded him at the club. One would be hard-pressed to identify a single player who’s made a significant impact at United since Ferguson departed in 2013, and the Red Devils have spent close to a billion pounds on new signings since then.

The post Bebe: Why leaving Man Utd was the best moment of my life appeared first on Squawka News.



From Squawka NewsSquawka News https://ift.tt/2Ep3BDJ

No comments:

Post a Comment