Christensen reveals he has “come to terms” with lack of game time under Sarri

Chelsea defender Andreas Christensen has revealed he is happy to stay at the club despite a lack of game time.

The centre-back has seen his playing time severely limited this season with Maurizio Sarri preferring to use David Luiz and Antonio Rudiger. As a result, Christensen had been linked with a move away from Chelsea during the January transfer window.

Will Christensen stay at Chelsea? Five key things to know…

  1. Christensen joined Chelsea as a 15-year-old in 2012 from Danish side Brondby.
  2. The centre-back then made his way through the academy before being sent out on a two-year loan to Borussia Monchengladbach.
  3. He finally broke into the Chelsea first-team in 2017/18 under Antonio Conte, but has seen less playing time this season.
  4. But, despite links away, Christensen has revealed he has been assured over his Chelsea future.
  5. Andreas Christensen has made 15 appearances for Chelsea this season, only two of which have come in the Premier League.

Christensen had broken into the Chelsea first-team under Antonio Conte and looked set to break the mould of the Blues’ former loanees. But high-profile mistakes in consecutive vital games against Barcelona and Manchester United saw him dropped and replaced by Cahill.

Sarri’s arrival in the summer had brought hope of Christensen’s reinstatement into the starting XI, but the Italian opted to recall Luiz to partner Rudiger.

As a result, Christensen has largely been limited to cup competitions, making just 15 appearances this season. But, despite links with a move away, Christensen has revealed talks with the club eased fears over his future.

“At the moment there’s two clear first choices, and then there’s me,” he told Bold.dk.

“I just have to show that I’m ready and take the chance when I get it.

“There was a lot of talk [over a January move] but it was quickly made clear that the club still saw me as someone who would play.

“Of course that’s really nice to hear so I just have to keep proving my self. I think I’ve been good the last few times I’ve got the chance and then I can only hope that I’ll be selected more often.’

“Obviously I had a lot of doubts. But once the club assured me I am needed, it really wasn’t that hard for me to accept.

“I’ve been in the club for many years and I still love being here. It’s solely because of the playing time that the transfer consideration started.

“But I’m looking forward and I’ve come to terms with the situation.”

Christensen ready to fight for Chelsea future

This is not the first time Christensen has eased Chelsea fans’ fear over his future, as Blues supporters cling to hope of seeing a young player break through.

The club have already seen the likes of Nathan Ake and Nathaniel Chalobah fail to break out of the loan system before being sold, with Ruben Loftus-Cheek’s future currently in the balance.

But, despite the constant links away, Christensen has always remained clear on his plans.

“If you asked every player that’s not playing if they’re happy, they’re going to say no,” he told reporters in November. “Everyone wants to play.

“I can’t do anything else but go back there, train and do my best. Every time I get that opportunity, I have to do well and show him (Sarri) that he can count on me.

“You don’t want to sit around and wait for it. You want to play straight away and that’s why we all play football.

“Not playing is not fun. It’s a different situation to last season.”

The post Christensen reveals he has “come to terms” with lack of game time under Sarri appeared first on Squawka News.



From Squawka News http://bit.ly/2E19uFt

No comments:

Post a Comment