“I want to slam him against the wall’ – Patrick Vieira on working with Mario Balotelli

OGC Nice manager Patrick Vieira has revealed how tough working with Mario Balotelli has been, admitting he sometimes wants to “slam him against the wall” due to the Italian’s attitude. 

Balotelli is known throughout football for his problematic antics that have seen him fail to live up to expectations.

Balotelli and Vieira at Nice: Five things you need to know

  1. Vieira took part in a documentary all about his time in charge at the Ligue 1 club.
  2. The former Arsenal star took over the club in June after a successful period managing MLS side New York City.
  3. Balotelli has been at Nice since his 2016 switch from Premier League side Liverpool.
  4. The Italian missed out a move to Ligue 1 rivals Marseille in the summer.
  5. Overall, the 28-year-old has scored 43 goals in 76 games throughout all competitions for Nice.

Speaking to French publication L’Equipe (via Football Italia), Vieira has confessed to his frustrations with the former Manchester City striker.

Vieira discussed how his former attitude to dealing with problems back in his playing days has to differ now due to his transition from footballer to manager.

“When it comes to Mario, I want to answer back, or just slam him up against the wall or leave him hanging by his collar on the coat rack, but I can’t, as I’m no longer a player.

“I have to think twice before I say anything, because it can have an impact and I risk losing a great player. I don’t want to say something I’ll regret.

“I am trying to be constructive in my comments to him.”

“We cannot afford to lose Balotelli”

Despite his criticism of the controversial forward and Balotelli’s lack of goals this season, Vieira has insisted that the club can’t afford to lose the ex-Liverpool man.

The Ligue 1 club have scored just 12 goals in 16 games this season with Balotelli yet to score in 10 appearances this campaign.

Vieira has insisted he has the patience to explain to both Balotelli and teammate Allan Saint-Maximin how important it is they get back to scoring goals for the club.

“A club like Nice cannot afford to lose a [Allan] Saint-Maximin or a Balotelli” Vieira told L’Equipe.

“So, if I have to explain to them 20 times, I will explain to them 20 times, because I have this patience.”

“He (Balotelli) did not expect to be scoreless. He thought that even on one leg, he would have scored more. But football remains a high-level sport; there is a minimum to be competitive.”

The post “I want to slam him against the wall’ – Patrick Vieira on working with Mario Balotelli appeared first on Squawka News.



From Squawka NewsSquawka News https://ift.tt/2rBzTDO

No comments:

Post a Comment