Wantaway Man Utd player publicly expresses his desire to leave yet again

Struggling Manchester United full-back Matteo Darmian says he misses Serie A ahead of the January transfer window.

Darmian, 29, has struggled to feature in Manager Jose Mourinho’s plans and appears to be pining for a return to his homeland.

Darmian’s struggles at United? Five things you need to know…

  1. The 29-year-old versatile full-back has been at Old Trafford since Louis van Gaal paid Torino £16m for him in 2015.
  2. He has appeared only three times in the Premier League this season and has only featured 29 times since Mourinho took over.
  3. Darmian was rumoured to be leaving Old Trafford in the summer, but no deal materialised as United were demanding £20m for him.
  4. While the Italian is capable of playing on either flank and occasionally at centre-back, Antonio Valencia, Ashley Young, Luke Shaw and now Diego Dalot have been selected ahead of him.
  5. Darmian is now hinting an exit from the club in the January transfer window, which will delight some contingents at Old Trafford who have never warmed to the player.

Darmian has only appeared 29 times for United under Mourinho and although he insists that he’s proud to be at United, he has expressed a yearning to return to Serie A.

“I’m proud to be at Manchester United, but I really do miss Italy now,” Darmian told La Gazzetta dello Sport (via Football Italia) amid rumours of Juventus and Napoli interest.

“I know that I am at one of the best clubs in the world and I am proud to be at Manchester United, but I do miss Italy. I love my country,” he added.

“Returning to play for Italy is my objective. Roberto Mancini hasn’t called me up yet, but I hope he will in future.”

Darmian discussed the upcoming match between Milan and Torino and described it as the “movie of my life”.

“This match represents the movie of my life, as it’s the club where I grew up and the club where I made my definitive step up in quality.

“I was only 10 years old when Milan signed me for their academy after a few trial runs. I left at the age of 19, having learned so much.”

Man Utd’s defensive woes

United’s leaky defence has conceded 26 goals this season, only two fewer than the amount they conceded the whole of last season. This is confusing as their backline is comprised of the same players.

However, understanding why Mourinho was so tetchy about not receiving funds to reinforce his defence has become abundantly clear this season.

Antonio Valencia has performed competently in his newfound role as a full-back over the years, but it’s not his natural position and the United skipper’s age is beginning to show of late.

On the other flank, Ashley Young, who started his career as an out-and-out winger and occasional forward, has become a reliable utility man at full-back, but United would gain more from him higher up the pitch. Luke Shaw looks like he’s returning to form, but he still hasn’t recaptured the promise he showed prior to his devastating leg break three years ago.

United’s central defence is an even bigger mess. Mourinho can’t seem to settle on a regular defensive partnership, which explains why he was so intent on bringing in Leicester’s Harry Maguire and Tottenham’s Toby Alderweireld in the summer.

In the press conference immediately following United’s 4-1 win over Fulham, Mourinho complained that there was no water bottles to drink from, joking that the club were saving money for January. Watch this space.

United play Valencia in the Champions League on Wednesday.

The post Man Utd full-back Matteo Darmian missing Serie A appeared first on Squawka News.



From Squawka NewsSquawka News https://ift.tt/2SBzjRT

No comments:

Post a Comment