Klopp delighted with today's "really nice news" on Liverpool star with limitless potential

Liverpool defender Joe Gomez has signed a new long-term contract with the club.

The 21-year-old was in fine form this season, striking up an air-tight partnership with fellow centre-back Virgil van Dijk, before he suffered a fracture to his leg in Liverpool’s win over Burnley last week.

Gomez commits his future to Liverpool: five key things to know…

  1. Gomez left Charlton to join Liverpool in 2015 in a £3.5m move.
  2. Has made 59 first team appearances so far before fracturing his leg last week.
  3. The 21-year-old’s new contract will run until 2024.
  4. Gomez says the new deal ‘means the world’ to him.
  5. Klopp has described Gomez as having ‘unlimited potential’ and is delighted with the new deal.

That injury will keep him out for at least six weeks, but that hasn’t stopped him committing his long-term future to the Premier League leaders, with Gomez saying the new deal ‘means the world’ to him.

He told Liverpoolfc.com: “Signing this new deal means the world to me.

“I’ve been at the club a few years now and have had the pleasure to play for Liverpool and experience what that means, so I am delighted to get the chance to extend my contract here.

“I love the club, I love playing and learning here, and I am happy for that to continue.”

The Liverpool Echo’s James Pearce also confirmed the contract will run until the summer of 2024.

Gomez has been at the club since 2015, joining from Charlton Athletic, and is no stranger to battling back from injuries, with an anterior cruciate ligament injury sustained while in action for England’s U21s in October 2015 keeping him out of action for a year.

Gomez is in a positive mood though and hopes he can use this latest injury as another chance to learn.

“There have been a lot of highs and lows, it’s my fourth season now and every one has been different,” he continued. “Obviously I would like to have had a few less setbacks along the way, but it has all been part of my journey – one that I have loved and embraced. I have learned so much.

“There have been good times on the pitch as well. Hopefully, that can continue. I am learning under a great manager and great coaching staff and have all the tools around me to keep progressing and learning. I am looking forward to it.”

Jurgen Klopp backs Gomez to tap into ‘unlimited potential’

Jurgen Klopp is obviously delighted to have one of Europe’s most promising young defenders committing his future to the club, and has backed the England international to tap into his ‘unlimited potential’ over the next few years.

“It’s really nice news that makes a lot of sense to everyone involved,” he said.

“Joe’s development and progression has been outstanding in the past couple of seasons and I only see his trajectory heading in an upward direction.

“He is so keen to learn and so keen to improve that I think his potential has no limit. Already this season we have seen him mature on the pitch and the credit for that goes 100 per cent to Joe himself for the attitude he has.”

Klopp also called Gomez ‘the nicest boy on the planet’, saying that his humble attitude makes him a ‘pleasure’ to work with.

He added: “Off the pitch, I think I recently described him as ‘the nicest boy on the planet’ – and I mean it. He is so humble, so grounded, that it is a pleasure for me, my staff and the other players to work with him every day at Melwood.

“I think Liverpool is the perfect home for him now. We benefit from each other – player and club. We are the perfect environment for him to achieve his full potential and he makes our team and squad stronger. I love how much he looks to learn from every person in our dressing room. He soaks up the experience, while at the same time finding his own path.

The post Joe Gomez signs new Liverpool deal in wake of leg break appeared first on Squawka News.



From Squawka NewsSquawka News https://ift.tt/2Gb2A4N

No comments:

Post a Comment