Marcelo Bielsa admits spying on all Leeds’ rivals in extraordinary press conference

Leeds United manager Marcelo Bielsa has confirmed he has had “spies” on the training ground of every opponent so far this season.

The Argentinian sparked controversy last week for sending a spy to watch Derby County’s training session prior to their match, which has since been dubbed as ‘Spygate’.

Has Marcelo Bielsa apologised for spying? Five key things to know…

  1. Bielsa took charge of Leeds in June 2018, with the Yorkshire club becoming the 12th club he has managed.
  2. The Argentinian has had a positive effect on Leeds, with attacking football sending the club top of the Championship.
  3. But Bielsa became embroiled in controversy last week as he admitted to sending a spy to watch Derby County’s training ahead of their game on Friday.
  4. This was met with a lot of criticism, but in an impromptu press briefing, Bielsa confirmed he has had people watching every opponent Leeds have faced so far this season.
  5. As such, the Argentinian did not apologise for ‘spygate’ but has confirmed he will help ease the FA’s investigation into the matter.

The incident, which Bielsa confirmed was his idea, has been widely criticised with the FA launching an investigation.

Leeds won last Friday’s match 2-0 at Elland Road to stay four points clear at the top of the Championship, as they look to return to the Premier League for the first time since 2004.

But, rather than apologise or resign – as some fans feared he would – Bielsa has admitted instructing a member of staff to watch training sessions of all of Leeds’ opponents before playing them this season.

Calling an impromptu press briefing, complete with PowerPoint presentation, Bielsa said (via the Yorkshire Evening Post): “I with the goal of gaining a sports advantage have been seen to damage fair play. I already said I was responsible for this situation.

“The person who did it followed my orders and I am the only responsible one. My behaviour has been debated and many people have made an opinion. Many have condemned the act of behaviour.

“They’ve said it was immoral and violated the fair play and cheating. The club thought it was obliged public excuses to Derby County. I was publicly told that my behaviour was not respecting the principles and integrity that are the basis of the club.

“Many managers and ex-footballers said my behaviour was not respectful. The league after a complaint my by Derby County decided to open an investigation over my behaviour so they will evaluate if I behaved bad.

“One point I would like to talk about is that I am going to make it easy for the investigation of the league. I will give them what they need. I assume the fact that my behaviour is observed.

“I observed all the rivals and we watched all the training sessions of the opponents before we played against them. My goal is to make the investigation easier. I don’t think this will make it worse what they’re looking for than what I am saying right now. By doing that I assume the possible sanctions they will give me.

“I don’t want to compare my behaviour with the past. I’ve heard that there are other behaviours that effect the fair play but I absolutely do not want to defend myself by attacking others. I don’t want to point to any other situation that is not linked to my responsibility.”

Biesla went on to insist watching an opponent’s training session is not illegal and did it because he didn’t feel it was a violation.

He added: “Regarding what I have done, what I have done is not illegal. It’s not specified and it’s not restrained. We can discuss about it. It’s not seen as a good thing but it is not a violation of the law. I know that not everything is legal is right to do.

“Because you have many things that are legal but they’re not right. All the wrong things that you do are not done with bad intentions.

“I am going to try and explain that I didn’t have bad intentions or get a sporting advantage. I did it because it was not illegal or violating a specific law.

“Of course have a point of view but it does not mean mine is right. As [Frank] Lampard said he doesn’t believe I didn’t have bad intentions. He believes that I violated the fair play spirit. So I have to adapt to the rules that are linked to the habits of English football.

“Nobody ignores that all professional members of football want to work in British football. We have some conclusions. We have some analysis that the Championship is the sixth biggest competition in the world.”

What happened with Spygate?

In the build up to Leeds’ match with Derby County last Friday, the Twitter account for Derbyshire Constabulary’s Response Unit confirmed a man had been found by the perimeter fence of Derby’s training ground on Thursday.

Derby then confirmed the man “acting suspiciously” had been a member of staff at Leeds, releasing a statement saying: “It has since been confirmed to Derby County that the individual concerned is an employee of the footballing staff at Leeds United Football Club.

“The club is now in discussion with Leeds United club officials in relation to this incident.

“At this time no further comment will be made.”

The post Marcelo Bielsa admits spying on all Leeds’ rivals in extraordinary press conference appeared first on Squawka News.



From Squawka NewsSquawka News http://bit.ly/2HheCtT

No comments:

Post a Comment