Jose Mourinho comments on touchline melee in Man Utd’s 2-2 draw with Chelsea

Ross Barkley scored a late equaliser as Chelsea drew 2-2 with Manchester United on Saturday to keep their unbeaten start to the Premier League season going.

But the goal, which came in the 96th minute, was quickly overshadowed by a melee on the touchline as a result of some over-celebration from a member of Chelsea’s backroom staff.

United boss Jose Mourinho, who had been moments away from earning a first win at Stamford Bridge as manager of the Red Devils, did not take kindly to the celebrations chasing the Chelsea man towards the tunnel.

However, speaking after the game, the Portuguese admitted he accepted an apology in Maurizio Sarri’s office.

“What happened was with Sarri’s assistant, and Sarri came to me and said he would resolve the problem internally,” he told Sky Sports.

“Then Sarri’s assistant came to me in Sarri’s office and apologised, and I said if you really feel that way and want to apologise, of course I accept it, and forget it because I have made lots of mistakes in my career and I’m not going to kill you because of one.

“It is over, he apologised, and I accepted it!”

Despite accepting the apology, Mourinho did reveal his feelings towards the Chelsea fans following the incident, believing he was not respected by those who once used to sing his name.

“No I don’t think so,” he replied when asked whether he got respect from Chelsea, having promised to do the same before the match.

“But that is not my responsibility. I have a certain level of education, socially and in sport. What I did here today I would do in Porto and Madrid and Milan, try to behave always the same way, which I did.

“The reaction of the fans is up to them. I am not annoyed with anything.”

After the final whistle, Mourinho walked past the Chelsea fans holding three fingers up – one for each Premier League title he one with the club.

Chelsea manager Sarri also gave his thoughts on the incident, admitting the Blues were on the wrong side of the melee.

“Sincerely, I did not see what happened at the end of the match,” he told Sky Sports.

“But I have spoken to Jose, then a couple of members of our staff. We were on the wrong side. I cannot tell everything, but I am not really happy.

“I understood that we were on the wrong side.”

The draw sees Chelsea momentarily move top of the Premier League, one point clear of Manchester City and Liverpool, while United remain eighth.

Who was the man to antagonise Mourinho in Chelsea draw?

Maurizio Sarri's second assistant coach, Marco Ianni

The man behind the touchline fracas at Stamford Bridge on Saturday was the club’s second assistant coach Marco Ianni.

Ianni had spent two years as a technical assistant to Sarri during the Italian’s time at Napoli, following his boss to Chelsea this summer.

The post Jose Mourinho comments on touchline melee in Man Utd’s 2-2 draw with Chelsea appeared first on Squawka News.



From Squawka NewsSquawka News https://ift.tt/2EACdUP

No comments:

Post a Comment