Wayne Rooney: Some ex-England players want the national team to fail

Wayne Rooney has revealed that some former England players would prefer the national side to fail at international tournaments. 

Rooney retired from international duty last year after scoring 53 goals in 119 games for the Three Lions, in an England career that spanned 13 years following his debut at 18 years of age in 2004.

Despite his terrific goal record – which officially makes him the highest scoring England player in the country’s history – Rooney never managed to help England go further than the quarter-final’s at a major international tournament.

Part of the ‘golden generation’ of England footballers, which included the likes of Steven Gerrard, Frank Lampard, John Terry, Rio Ferdinand and Ashley Cole, England often flattered to deceive and ultimately failed to produce performances on the big stage on a regular basis.

Looking at England from an outside perspective, Rooney spoke to BBC Sport about how he feels watching his country play as a fan rather than with the pressures of playing.

“It was great to watch the games. The last time I watched England and wasn’t part of the set up was when I was 16, just 17.

“So to go back to that and watch as a fan rather than having those connections as being a part of it was different to what I was used to – it was great to chill out, watch the games and support the team.

“They don’t want England to do well”

However, Rooney sensationally added that he has conversed with ex-England pros who have admitted to not wanting to see the country do well.

“I have seen players in the past who have retired and they maybe don’t want England to do well, I’ve spoken to players who have had that opinion.

“But as an England fan I obviously wanted them to go one step further (at the 2018 World Cup) and get to the final, where anything can happen. I think they have brought a bit of pride back to the England set-up.

“I felt the timing was right when I retired from England, not only for myself but I think for the team. It was the right decision to let the team move on and it was the right time. I have no regrets.

The post Wayne Rooney: Some ex-England players want the national team to fail appeared first on Squawka News.



From Squawka NewsSquawka News https://ift.tt/2St0hMt

No comments:

Post a Comment