Zinedine Zidane meeting left Mesut Ozil sweating buckets

Mesut Ozil has revealed he was “sweating” when initially meeting his idol Zinedine Zidane.

The 30-year-old Arsenal playmaker saw his path cross with the legendary French footballer during a three-year stay at Real Madrid.

Ozil would swap the Spanish capital for London in 2013 but retains fond memories of the former Real boss.

“I was really nervous, my hands were sweating but he was really calm and cool and I really enjoyed meeting him,” he told Sky Sports.

“I liked his style of football, always playing with vision and calm on the pitch and to see another player in a better position – he was not selfish. I was happy to meet him while at Madrid – he was always my idol and I still watch clips of him sometimes before games and how he used to play.”

What is Mesut Ozil’s favoured position?

Ozil, as mentioned, joined the Gunners from Real Madrid in 2013, where he played under United boss Jose Mourinho, for a reported £42 million.

To date, the 2014 World Cup winner has featured 205 times for the north London side, producing 41 goals and 72 assists – with the 2015/16 season being his most productive.

His 19 assists across 35 league games saw him fall just one short of the Premier League record held by Arsenal legend Thierry Henry.

Capable of playing across the line behind the centre-forward Ozil has often been utlisied in a wide role but it’s centrally where he feels at home.

“For me it is not my best position, I think my best position is as a No 10 but at the end of the day I have to accept and respect what the coach decides,” he added.

“So I have to give everything I can on the right side, it’s new for me but it’s fun for me as well, especially with the goals and I will continue to give my best on that side.”

The post Zinedine Zidane meeting left Mesut Ozil sweating buckets appeared first on Squawka News.



From Squawka NewsSquawka News https://ift.tt/2yFlcU2

No comments:

Post a Comment