‘This season feels like a fresh start’ – Liverpool star Joe Gomez

Liverpool defender Joe Gomez feels like this season has been a ‘fresh start’ after establishing himself in the Reds’ starting XI. 

Gomez has suffered a variety of injury setbacks during his time at Anfield, since moving from Charlton Athletic in 2015, but has managed to put all of that behind him this season, becoming an integral part of Jurgen Klopp’s side.

His individual form, as well as his formidable partnership with Virgil van Dijk, has also lead to a recall to Gareth Southgate’s England side, with the 21-year-old playing in England’s impressive 3-2 away win over Spain recently.

And, speaking to the FA’s official website, Gomez has told of how his strong mentality has helped him get over his injury problems, with the centre-back now looking to the future.

“It feels like a fresh start for me this season,” he said. “It’s no secret that I’ve had setbacks in the last few years, but I’ve done my best to try and bounce back from them and make things right.

“And it’s all behind me now so I just want to keep my head down, stay on top of things and I just want to keep going, keep learning and progressing at the same time.”

Despite his impressive form this season, Gomez also thinks he still has a lot more to give and that he hasn’t quite hit top form this season.

The five-time England international believes the expectations set upon him when playing for Liverpool and the Three Lions are a great incentive for him to keep improving, adding: “I don’t feel like I’m at the top level, I need to keep pushing and learning and hopefully be in that category, among the best.

“Being at Liverpool helps me with that, because you’ve got to be at that standard and if you aren’t then you won’t play.

“With the club being so big, there’s that expectation from the fan base that they want a certain standard of performance. It’s the same with England and that’s a massive incentive.”

Gomez and his Liverpool teammates currently sit joint-top of the Premier League table and are unbeaten in the competition so far.

The Reds face an away trip to Huddersfield Town this afternoon.

The post ‘This season feels like a fresh start’ – Liverpool star Joe Gomez appeared first on Squawka News.



From Squawka NewsSquawka News https://ift.tt/2EzLVXw

No comments:

Post a Comment