Ex-Italy captain Gianluigi Buffon: Why I applauded France’s national anthem in 2016

Gianluigi Buffon has revealed he applauded France’s national anthem in 2016 to stop boos and whistles from some Italian fans, which he believed wasn’t a fair reflection of his country.

Italy were hosting France in a friendly in Bari when the national anthems began to play as usual, but La Marseillaise was met with derision by sections of the home support.

In a move to sway the reaction in another direction, the then-captain of the Italian national team Buffon began to applaud and was gradually joined by his teammates and many of the home supporters.

And in a recent interview with L’Equipe, the Paris-Saint Germain goalkeeper revealed why he felt compelled to do something about the boos and whistles.

“I never calculate my actions. Never. That’s why I’ve gotten myself into trouble sometimes. It’s a special moment when I feel something in my gut, my head and my heart,” Buffon said (via Football Italia).

“In Bari the Italian fans whistled La Marseillaise and I felt I needed to do something. Apart from being a way to show respect to France and the French nation, it was also a way of defending Italy, of saying that my country wasn’t those people whistling.

“I know the history of my country, I know that there are values which are carried by the Italian national anthem, the memory of tragedies and people who died for Italy.

“I myself had a grandfather who died during World War I. I didn’t want anyone to think that Italy, whistling an anthem, disregarded that history, that memory.”

Buffon the elder statesmen

Buffon is still playing at a high level despite entering his 40s and is among the most respected players in world football.

Later in the interview, he was asked if his age and his actions have seen him take on the role of an elder statesmen, to which he replied: “In the last 10 years, yes.

“I was captain of Italy, I was captain of Juve. I had a lot more responsibilities for the group. It’s a logical point of life, the normal evolution of a sporting career between 30 and 40.

“When I was young I was different, I did what I wanted. It was beautiful and easier, I didn’t really follow the rules. But if you behave the same way at 40 as you did at 20 you have a problem.”

Buffon has now retired from international duty.

Italy host Ukraine in a friendly on Wednesday before travelling to Polan in the UEFA Nations League this weekend.

The post Ex-Italy captain Gianluigi Buffon: Why I applauded France’s national anthem in 2016 appeared first on Squawka News.



From Squawka NewsSquawka News https://ift.tt/2A0kJgh

No comments:

Post a Comment