Watch: Usain Bolt scores twice on full debut for Central Coast Mariners

Olympic Champion & World Record Holder Usain Bolt nearly scored a hat-trick on his Central Coast Mariners debut start against Campbelltown. 

Bolt, 32, has been on trial with the Australian A-League side after negotiating a deal with the club in July, and he made his debut in August, though only for a brief 20 minutes.

However, the eight-time Olympic champion was given his maiden Mariners start on Friday night against Campbelltown and he has so far repaid the faith shown in him by manager Mike Mulvey.

Donning the number 95 shirt, the former Jamaican sprinter started alongside newcomer Ross McCormack, and both players were able to get on the scoresheet.

With the Mariners already 2-0 up, Bolt netted his first goal for the club in the second-half, racing through on goal before firing a fine left-footed finish into the bottom corner.

And it would not be long before Bolt was at it again, netting a brace to really light up the Campbelltown Stadium, tucking home an open goal after a mix-up in defence.

Bolt has made no secret of his desire to become a professional footballer once his athletics career reached its concluding chapter, and he has done his chances of achieving a life-long ambition no harm at all after this evening’s performance.

Speaking after the match, Bolt spoke of his delight in netting his first goals in professional football: “My first start and scoring two goals, it’s a good feeling.

“I’m happy I could come here and show the world I’m improving.

“I’m keen to be a Mariner, to play my best and get into the team.”

Bolt is aspiring to achieve a contract with the club ahead of the 2018/19 season and prior to the match he spoke about how crucial his performance will be to the club’s decision on his future.

“This will determine… [what] the club want to do with my career, so it’s a very important game,” Bolt said (via Sky Sports).

“I have been improving but you won’t know what level you’re at until you play a competitive game so I just have to go out there and see what I need to do or whether I should continue or not.

“I’m just pushing myself and have put in the work so now I have to go out there and execute.”

The post Watch: Usain Bolt scores twice on full debut for Central Coast Mariners appeared first on Squawka News.



From Squawka NewsSquawka News https://ift.tt/2CbfhZA

No comments:

Post a Comment