Why Leon Bailey is trying to force Jamaica to call up his brother

Bayer Leverkusen winger Leon Bailey has said that he is ready to play for Jamaica, but only if they call up his adopted brother Kyle Butler.

Bailey, 21, has been something of a revelation for Leverkusen since nailing down his place in the starting XI and bagged 12 goals in 34 games for the Werkself last season.

The Kingston-born winger is yet to represent his country, coming close to making his debut in the CONCACAF League of Nations game against Bonaire.

However, upon arrival in Jamaica, Bailey learned that the terms to which he had reportedly agreed to play had been revoked and he withdrew, but hasn’t closed the door completely on his country.

“Obviously, I came to Jamaica because of the international call-up,” he said (via the Gleaner). “I did agree to come based on the agreement we had. But when I got here, it was a totally different scenario. They didn’t keep their end (of the deal), therefore, I decided not to play this game.

“I am here for one reason: to represent the country. But they (JFF) didn’t keep their end. Once they are willing to do that, I am ready to put on the national team jersey.”

The term in question is Bailey wanting his adopted brother, Kyle Butler – currently playing for FC Juniors OÖ in Austria – to also be called into the squad so that he has players around him that can ‘help him’. The Jamaican federation, however, want to trial Butler first.

“By this November, if they are willing to go ahead with whatever we’ve asked of them, I’ll be ready to represent my country. It (Kyle’s snub by the JFF), is a big part of it,” he added. “I need players who can understand me. You can’t expect me to jump in a system and expect it to work. I need help. I am a winner, a Phoenix, and I don’t like losing, so I need people who I know are capable of making things happen.”

 

 

With so much talk around Bailey’s potential, and the player himself harbouring ambitions of one day being one of the world’s best footballers, the former Genk man claims that his decision is one that protects his professional future.

He said: “I want to be one of the best in the world, and I love my country very much. But I also have to think about my best interest, and coming to play for Jamaica without proper help can damage my career. Not because I am doing well in European football means I can come here and destroy everybody.”

Bailey’s Leverkusen side currently sit 14th in the Bundesliga table and face Hannover 96 in their next game on Saturday.

The post Why Leon Bailey is trying to force Jamaica to call up his brother appeared first on Squawka News.



From Squawka NewsSquawka News https://ift.tt/2AcayWi

No comments:

Post a Comment