Radja Nainggolan: I don’t regret Chelsea and Man Utd snubs

Belgian midfielder Radja Nainggolan has insisted he does not regret snubbing Chelsea and Manchester United in the past.

Nainggolan moved from Roma to Inter Milan for £33m in the summer, despite being constantly linked with a switch to the Premier League.

Why did Nainggolan snub a move to England? Five key things to know…

  1. Radja Nainggolan was a long-term transfer target of Chelsea and Manchester United.
  2. But, after leaving Roma in the summer the Belgian decided to stay in Italy with Inter Milan.
  3. As a result of this, the midfielder turned down moves to England including a big money offer from Chelsea.
  4. And Nainggolan has no regrets, believing football and culture is better in Italy than in England.
  5. Nainggolan has played 11 times for Inter Milan in all competitions since joining the club.

The Belgian initially moved to Italy as a 16-year-old and has not left the country since, admitting the culture and way of life played a part in him rejecting a transfer to England.

Speaking to ESPN FC, Nainggolan spoke of turning down a lot of interest including Chelsea offering more money: “I have had plenty of chances to leave. I am the kind of person who above all needs to live well and be at a club which plays to win, or where I am happy with my life.

“There are lots of components — lots to evaluate. I stayed in Italy, with Roma, because I wanted to end in the best way possible. There was Manchester too. There were many things that I was not interested in at all. Of course you are flattered by the interest, but this is how it is.

“In Italy, you live really well — I like the culture and way of life here. Chelsea offered me more money and they are a big club, yes.”

Aside from the lifestyle in Italy, Nainggolan also stated the difference in football styles between the two nations, with England focussing on fast-forward action and being a spectacle.

He added: “I think if you want a spectacle, you need to watch English football.

“In terms of the fans, the stadiums being full, the pitches being perfect — and it seems like the action is in fast-forward.

“The rhythm is so high, but it’s not as tactical as it is in Italy. If you were to ask me which league I’d like to play in, maybe I’d say England for the spectacle, but I’ve been here for so long now that I’m perfectly happy here and I don’t need to change anything.”

Owen Hargreaves confused about Nainggolan’s Premier League snub

Already known as an impressive midfielder across Europe, Nainggolan has only boosted his reputation in his brief spell at Inter so far.

The Belgian has made eight appearances in Serie A, winning 100% of his attempted tackles, while also scoring twice.

And, former Manchester United and Bayern Munich midfielder Owen Hargreaves has previously spoken of his surprise no Premier League side signed Nainggolan.

He said: “Why he is not playing in the Premier League? Why didn’t a Premier League team sign this guy? Because he has everything.

“He’s powerful, he’s strong, technically he’s very good. He’s a brilliant passer of the ball and he’s capable of virtually everything a central midfield player can do.

“He can win the ball, but then he can break and get forward. I think in this Inter team now he’s going to play a bit differently.

“He’s strong, confident in possession… and he’s able to play a key pass.

“He’s one of those players you can look to and he can give you everything.”

The post Radja Nainggolan: I don’t regret Chelsea and Man Utd snubs appeared first on Squawka News.



From Squawka NewsSquawka News https://ift.tt/2PUgsoq

No comments:

Post a Comment