‘Pathetic’ Martinez’s infamous World Cup snub proved right as ex-Chelsea target suspended by current club

Radja Nainggolan has been suspended by Inter Milan for disciplinary reasons, the Italian club have announced.

The midfielder joined Inter from Serie A rivals Roma in the summer, having been snubbed by Belgium manager Roberto Martinez for the World Cup.

What has gone on between Inter and Nainggolan? Four key things to know…

  1. Nainggolan joined Inter from Roma in the summer of 2018 as part of a £33m swap deal.
  2. The Belgian snubbed the likes of Manchester United and Chelsea to stay in Italy.
  3. Nainggolan has played 15 times for the Nerazzurri so far this season, completing the full 90 minutes on four occasions.
  4. But the midfielder has now been suspended temporarily with the club citing disciplinary reasons.

Nainggolan had continued his Roma form from last season at the San Siro and was quickly becoming a key member of the Nerazzurri’s starting XI.

However, Inter have no confirmed Nainggolan will be missing from the club’s game against Napoli on Sunday, due to a temporary suspension.

A brief statement on the club’s official website read: “FC Internazionale Milano can confirm that Radja Nainggolan has been temporarily suspended from football activity for disciplinary reasons.”

Though reports have emerged claiming it was due to persistent lateness, the club are yet to disclose any further information on the specific reasons why the Belgian has been barred from football activity.

Nainggolan’s falling out with Martinez

Nainggolan has always had somewhat of a reputation as one of football’s bad boys, having previously admitted to smoking and drinking – something not expected of from modern footballers.

The Belgian was embroiled in some controversy earlier in 2018 after being left out of Martinez’s squad for the World Cup in Russia.

In explaining his decision, Martinez said: “Every player in the squad has got a different level of fatigue. That is why we will start the preparation with 28 players. The rule is that we have to give the final selection of 23 on June 4.

“We know that Nainggolan has a very important role in his club and we cannot give him that role in our squad.

“Nainggolan is a top player. The reason is tactical. In the last two years the team has worked in a specific manner. Other players had those roles.”

But Nainggolan was not satisfied with the explanation given, announcing his retirement from international football shortly after.

At the time, the midfielder said: “With a lot of pain in the heart I put an end to my international career.

“I have always done everything to be there and represent my country. Unfortunately be yourself can be bothering.

“From this day on I will be the number one fan.”

And last month, after watching Belgium finish third at the World Cup in the summer, Nainggolan labelled Martinez “pathetic” for his excuses in snubbing Nainggolan.

“I was really, really disappointed with the fact that I’d played a great European Championship and then I was discarded for nothing,” Nainggolan said.

“I see things differently: in Belgium, there were players who were not playing at club level and they were getting called up.

“I was playing 50 games and was still being left out. I was never demanding that I had to play, I just deserved to be there in place of some other players.

“Then there were the excuses, but they were all pathetic. Why was I playing 50 games for Roma if I was leading the same life [I was being criticised for]? I think it’s wrong when people say things without speaking to me first. You’ve got to say things to my face, we can have a talk and then we shake hands and you don’t call me up again but I’ve got more respect for you than somebody who doesn’t do that.”

The post Radja Nainggolan suspended by Inter Milan for disciplinary reasons appeared first on Squawka News.



From Squawka NewsSquawka News http://bit.ly/2CvVx2o

No comments:

Post a Comment