Krzysztof Piatek: I had to look up my Genoa teammates on FIFA

Genoa forward Krzysztof Piatek, who has managed 13 goals in his first 13 appearances for the club, has admitted that he didn’t know anything about his teammates prior to his arrival in Italy.

Despite having not scored a club goal for a month now, the Poland striker remains the Serie A’s top scorer after a stunning start to his time with Ivan Juric’s side.

Piatek, 23, was snapped up by Genoa from Cracovia for a fee in the region of £3.5 million in June, after managing 32 goals in 65 appearances for the Polish side.

In October he became the first player to score in each of the first seven matches of a Serie A season since Gabriel Batistuta in 1994/95.

Nobody expected Piatek to make such an impact in his first season in Italy and, in an interview with Corriere Della Sera, the striker has even admitted that he had to look up his Genoa teammates on FIFA when he first signed for the club.

“None of my team-mates knew me and I sincerely hoped that, if they didn’t know that I had scored 21 goals and scored in almost every game (last season), then maybe even the defenders I would face will not know.

“Being a stranger gave me an advantage. I didn’t even know my team-mates from Genoa. When I signed, I turned on the Playstation and I looked for them on there.”

On the move again soon?

Unsurprisingly, Piatek’s good form has already led to suggestions that he could already be in line for a transfer to a bigger club.

Both Milan clubs have been linked with a move for the Poland star and the 23-year-old has admitted that he does dream of playing in the Champions League one day.

He also says he has targeted scoring more than 20 goals this season and has played down comparisons between him and fellow countryman Robert Lewandowski, who continues to impress for Bayern Munich.

“Goals? I hope to score more than 20 goals,” Piatek added.

“The comparison with Lewandowski? There’s no comparison now, but I can get to those levels.

“When you play in Serie A you have to have a clear head. It’s wrong to think, ‘I’ve scored 5 goals, I’m a football god’, you’re nobody, the path is a long one.

“The goal is the Champions League: I want to get there. Before that I want to thank President Preziosi (Genoa’s president) who gave me this chance. There is only one way to repay trust and investment: to make so many goals and I will not disappoint.”

The post Krzysztof Piatek: I had to look up my Genoa teammates on FIFA appeared first on Squawka News.



From Squawka NewsSquawka News https://ift.tt/2KdCKLv

No comments:

Post a Comment