Lamela motivated by Argentina return during lengthy injury lay-off

Erik Lamela has admitted the thought of playing for Argentina once more motivated him to get through his 13-month injury. 

The Argentine has been called up to the national team for the next two games for the first time in two years, alongside fellow Spurs teammates Juan Foyth and Paulo Gazzaniga.

Lamela had been sidelined for over a year due to a chronic hip injury but he returned to first-team club football in November 2017, following double surgery. He has since become a key player for Spurs under Pochettino, scoring six goals and chipping in with three assists in 13 appearances thus far in all competitions.

The winger currently has 23 caps and is set to add to those against Mexico, who Argentina face in back-to-back fixtures on Friday and Monday.

“I feel good. Playing for the national team is important for me – it was on my mind a lot in the spell I was out. My motivation was to play for my country,” Lamela told Standard Sport.

“It was one of the things that I was focused on – also playing for Tottenham. I hope when I go [to Argentina], I will play. I fought a lot to be back, it was difficult when I was injured. I always look from afar but now I am back and so happy that I am playing, not injured – although I keep my fingers crossed. This is the most important thing: playing and enjoying football.

“I watched the World Cup,” he added. “I have a good relationship with the players and I was sad for them, as some players deserve to win something with the national team. The World Cup is the best tournament and I was sad for them and my country.”

On the call-ups for his Spurs teammates, Lamela said: “I am so happy for Juan and Paulo because they deserve to have a chance in the national team.

“They are young and doing good so for me it is better, I like to go altogether and we are flying altogether. Paulo is showing every training that he can play in Premier League and when he played he did amazing, I am so happy for him but he didn’t surprise me because I know he is an amazing keeper.”

Pochettino has challenged Lamela to maintain his form for the entire season. To that, the former Roma winger said: “I am confident. I was always confident even when injured but now I am trying to show it on the pitch.

“I am happy to be scoring goals but it is early. I needed to keep working. I need to keep my focus. The season is long. Players already have targets and mine is to keep my fitness and to do what I need to play – to always be available. I have a goals target for the season because if not, it is impossible to compete.”

Tottenham take on Chelsea at home in the league next on Saturday, November 24.

 

The post Lamela motivated by Argentina return during lengthy injury lay-off appeared first on Squawka News.



From Squawka NewsSquawka News https://ift.tt/2K2gLHl

No comments:

Post a Comment