Ragnar Klavan: I never wanted to leave Liverpool

Liverpool defender Ragnar Klavan has admitted he didn’t want to leave the Reds but Serie A side Cagliari gave him an offer he couldn’t refuse.

The Estonia international made 27 appearances for Jurgen Klopp last season and yet the 33-year-old said he rejected a number of offers from other clubs in favour of remaining on Merseyside.

That was until an offer to perform in Serie A, which Klavan describes “as the university of statistics,” came along in the summer.

“I honestly did not intend to leave Liverpool, Klavan told Goal.

“I had received several offers from other European clubs, but it was not my intention to change clubs.

“But then Cagliari’s offer came and I had little doubt. I could measure myself in an important league like Serie A, which is a bit like the university of tactics.”

The defender said he spoke to former team mates at Liverpool, who had already performed in Serie A, about moving to Italy.

“I spoke with Lucas Leiva and Mo Salah about this opportunity, my former team-mates at Liverpool, and they both described the championship as very interesting and competitive,” Klavan added.

“In addition, here you live very well, the Italian lifestyle is fantastic and you eat very well! Injury aside I must say that these first few months have been wonderful.”

Klavan’s first season with Cagliari has been blighted with injuries and the Estonian has only managed six appearances for the club so far. He was absent from the side again on Saturday when Rossoblu were defeated 3-1 by Juventus.

Cagliari are 13th on the Serie A table with 13 points, but they are only three points adrift of a place in the top six. The Sardinian side have an easier run of fixtures over the next five weeks and have an opportunity to make up the ground they have lost in recent games.

The post Ragnar Klavan: I never wanted to leave Liverpool appeared first on Squawka News.



From Squawka NewsSquawka News https://ift.tt/2qsYF8L

No comments:

Post a Comment