Alderweireld: Reports saying I wanted to leave Tottenham were untrue

Toby Alderweireld has dismissed the rumours he wanted out of Spurs during the summer transfer window. 

The Belgian centre-back, 29, was thought to be nearing an exit with Man United in talks with Spurs but the player has said a move was never on the cards.

United reportedly bid around £50m for the defender, though that was some distance from Tottenham’s valuation although negotiations continued into the last day of the window.

“Everyone was saying everywhere that I absolutely wanted to leave Tottenham,” Alderweireld said at a news conference (via ESPN) ahead of Belgium’s UEFA Nations League match on Tuesday against Iceland.

“That’s not true. This summer, I quickly understood Tottenham wanted to keep me. So, I had to battle to get my place back in the team. To be in the first team again is a victory for me.”

Alderweireld is still yet to agree terms with Spurs over a new contract, with the current deal expiring at the end of the 2019-20 season, and includes a clause that will let the player leave for £25m next summer.

The Belgian has started all of Spurs’ last three games, despite only making 14 appearances for the club in the league last term.

“I just try to help Tottenham as best I can with my qualities,” Alderweireld said. “Regarding my future, everything that was said in the press was not right all the time.”

Spurs next take on Liverpool at Wembley on Saturday in the Premier League.

The post Alderweireld: Reports saying I wanted to leave Tottenham were untrue appeared first on Squawka News.



From Squawka NewsSquawka News https://ift.tt/2x4jeMu

No comments:

Post a Comment