Guendouzi: Vieira and Henry made me dream of playing for Arsenal

Young Arsenal midfielder Matteo Guendouzi has revealed that compatriots Thierry Henry and Patrick Viera were the inspirations behind his move to the club. 

Guendouzi signed for the Gunners in the summer after impressing for Lorient in French Ligue 2 last season, making 21 appearances in all competitions.

And, following his big move, the 19-year-old has put in a string of impressive performances for Arsenal as he has adjusted to life in the Premier League.

Speaking to L’Equipe (via the Daily Mail), Guendouzi has said that his fellow Frenchmen helped him fall in love with Arsenal at a young age.

He said: “Growing up, I watched other teams and I fell in love with Arsenal. I wasn’t really interested in posters but I saw many, many videos.

“Players like Thierry Henry and Patrick Viera made me love the club and I dreamt of going there.

“When I see the Emirates and the statue of Henry, I think back to those videos. From the moment Arsenal made an approach, everything was clear for me.”

Guendouzi also admitted that he was very surprised to get his dream move so early in his career, adding: “I’m not going to lie, I thought it would happen later in my career. But joining such a club at 19, any player would like that.”

Despite his age and lack of relative experience, Guendouzi has made a fine start to his life at the Emirates and, across his five Premier League games so far, has made more tackles (14) and interceptions (12) than any other player at the club.

After their shaky start to the season, Arsenal also look to be back on track, winning their last four league games and sitting sixth in the Premier League.

Unai Emery’s men take on Brentford at home in the League Cup on Wednesday.

The post Guendouzi: Vieira and Henry made me dream of playing for Arsenal appeared first on Squawka News.



From Squawka NewsSquawka News https://ift.tt/2xAxFbe

No comments:

Post a Comment