“Maybe it was jealousy” – Xherdan Shaqiri on Charlie Adam criticism

Liverpool playmaker Xherdan Shaqiri has spoken about the criticism he received from former Stoke City team-mate Charlie Adam following the club’s relegation last season.

Shaqiri was part of a Paul Lambert side who suffered relegation from the Premier League to the English second-tier last term.

It was inevitable that the Swiss international would depart the club, with his talents believed to be worthy of a place among England’s top division. One man who believed this sentiment was Jurgen Klopp, who brought the 26-year-old to title-chasing Liverpool in the summer.

However, his big summer move didn’t stop former Potters team-mate Charlie Adam from expressing a few choice words regarding Shaqiri’s attitude towards Stoke’s plight.

Months on, Shaqiri has finally responded to the Scots comments, insisting that Adam must be jealous of the move, a move Adam made in 2011 before his eventual transfer to Stoke in 2012.

“I think it’s just frustration maybe or jealousy because I had a good move;” said Shaqiri to the Evening Standard.

“I was surprised that he spoke like this about me but that is sometimes the character of a player.

“I know what he said was totally wrong because at that time I played there – especially when times were hard – I was there and I was scoring a lot of goals.

“I don’t have to prove Charlie Adam or some people that are speaking about me wrong.

“I’m just a player who wants to work and who does my job every day, the same as I always did.

“I know that people know how good I am – most of the people that understand football know that they are wrong.”

Slow start for Shaqiri

The now-Liverpool man must have been hoping for a more positive start to life at the Anfield club.

After scoring a screamer against Manchester United in a pre-season friendly, Shaqiri has struggled to break into the Reds starting XI since the start of the 2018/19 campaign.

The midfielder has only played 73 minutes of Premier League football, making three appearances. His Champions League minutes are even lower, with just five minutes on the pitch against Paris Saint-Germain.

So far he has zero goals and zero assists, but there is still plenty of time for Shaqiri to turn things around.

The post “Maybe it was jealousy” – Xherdan Shaqiri on Charlie Adam criticism appeared first on Squawka News.



From Squawka NewsSquawka News https://ift.tt/2NRTwFq

No comments:

Post a Comment