Retired ex-Southampton striker Dani Osvaldo: “I wouldn’t want to be like Messi – he has no life”

Ex-Southampton and Italy midfielder Dani Osvaldo has admitted he ‘wouldn’t like to be like Messi’ as he feels the five-time Balon d’Or winner ‘has no life’.

Osvaldo played 13 times for the Saints in the 2013-14 season, as well as turning out for the likes of Roma, Juventus and Espanyol.

However, he retired from the game in 2016, following a short spell with Boca Juniors in Argentina, to focus on his music career.

Throughout his time as a footballer, Osvaldo was caught up in various incidents with managers and fellow players due to his smoking habit and volatile nature.

And now he has lifted the lid on his retirement, as well as saying he has no regrets about not ending up in the same bracket as the likes of Lionel Messi and Cristiano Ronaldo.

The 32-year-old told Marca (via Football Italia): “Would I like to be like Messi? No. I’d like to play like him, but he has no life. It’s as if he lives in a golden prison.

“He couldn’t go somewhere and quietly drink something. Maybe he doesn’t care about it, but I do.

“I imagine him buying the biggest TV in the world, but then he’s never in his living room to use it. Failing that, he probably drives a Ferrari, knowing he lives 15 minutes away from the Barcelona’s training ground…”

And on his retirement: “The world of football was no longer for me.

“Cristiano Ronaldo likes to go home and do 150 press-ups, but I like preparing barbecues instead.

“Football gave me the chance to help my family and earn so much, that I can afford to not work again. It allowed me to travel and get to know different places and people. It changed my life but it also took my freedom away from me, and I can’t give up my freedom. Still, I love football and won’t deny it.

“I used to smoke at training camps with the Italian national team, but the Coach could ask me for a light. [Guillermo Barros] Schelotto, instead, threw me out of Boca because it surprised him that I smoked. However, I went to play with friends yesterday and felt like dying. Now everything hurts me.”

Since retiring from football, Osvaldo has been focusing on his career as a musician is now the frontman for Barcelona based band, Barrio Viejo.

The post Retired ex-Southampton striker Dani Osvaldo: “I wouldn’t want to be like Messi – he has no life” appeared first on Squawka News.



From Squawka NewsSquawka News https://ift.tt/2QXJznp

No comments:

Post a Comment