Olivier Giroud insists he contributed to France’s World Cup win despite not scoring

Chelsea striker Olivier Giroud has defended his contributions for France at this summer’s World Cup, despite not netting a single goal for Didier Deschamps side in Russia.

Les Bleus went on to win this year’s tournament, with forwards Kylian Mbappe and Antoine Griezmann emerging as France’s star players.

Giroud started all but one of their fixtures at the World Cup and feels he played a big part in his side’s success in Russia even though he failed to get on the scoresheet.

“It necessarily results in a little frustration,” Giroud told Le Parisien, via FourFourTwo “But it has largely been filled by the title. The collective takes precedence over individuals.

“I often had to do a little bit of different work, make sacrifices to help the team hold the lead. In fact, you have less energy to be decisive in the last third.

“Except against Belgium in the second half, I do not have the memory of having missed many opportunities. I even produced two assists.

“My zero goals does not stop me from sleeping. In the street people tell me: even if you have not scored, you have been important.

“We might not have been world champions if I scored. Statistics can be used for anything and everything. I was decisive in another way.”

Should Giroud now call time on his international career?

Giroud, 31, has also responded to suggestions that he should now call time on his France career, with a host of young attacking talent coming through the ranks in France.

The Chelsea striker has insisted that he would like to carry on playing for France as long as he feels able to and has even set his sights on becoming one of his countries leading all-time leading goal scorers.

“A team-mate at Chelsea already asked me this question,” Giroud said when asked whether he’d consider international retirement. “As long as I feel good, can bring something to the team and the coach calls me, I am available.

“I am aware of being closer to the end than the beginning. So I enjoy every moment. I do not put myself any barrier, I do not set any limit.

“It would be a nice figure (100 caps), but before, I would like to rise to among the top three scorers in the history of Les Bleus. For now, I share fourth place with Zizou (Zinedine Zidane), three only behind (David) Trezeguet.

“This podium, it would also be a way to mark the story, even if boys like Antoine and Kylian will exceed me.”

Chelsea next take on Cardiff at home on Saturday in the Premier League.

The post Olivier Giroud insists he contributed to France’s World Cup win despite not scoring appeared first on Squawka News.



From Squawka NewsSquawka News https://ift.tt/2NCVEQc

No comments:

Post a Comment