Everton defender Yerry Mina: ‘Any Man Utd talk was just my agent’

Everton defender Yerry Mina has claimed rumours about him heading to Manchester United were solely down to his agent. 

Mina was sold to Everton for £26.4m by La Liga champions Barcelona, for whom he made six appearances over the 2017/18 season.

The Toffees have had to be patient to see the Colombia international in action after he arrived at the club with a hairline fracture in his right foot sustained during a pre-season training session.

Everton’s signing of Mina was considering a big statement for the Toffees and the defender revealed the idea of playing in England was a result of the daily contact he had with “professor” Marco Silva over the summer.

“The truth is Professor Marco spoke to me every day, telling me to come to England,” he said.

“The big thing was when I was holiday, training and keeping fit after the World Cup, Marco was on the phone. Talking to me, saying to me, ‘come on, come and play here with us’.

“The faith he showed in me was very important. I know now, sitting here, that I have made the right decision. It was the best decision I could have made.”

Mina also insisted any rumours about him heading to Old Trafford in the summer were started by his agent.

“I was always focused on Everton. Any talk with Manchester United was just to my agent,” Mina added.

Mina’s version of events is disputed by United who claim that excessive financial demands was the reason they pulled out of negotiations.

The Colombian doubled down, claiming Everton have always been on his radar since Marouane Fellaini was playing at the club.

“I have always been aware of English football – Manchester United, Manchester City, Everton, Tottenham. But Everton has always been an important club for me, honestly. I watched them when back in the day when Fellaini was playing here.”

Everton take on Chelsea in the Premier League on Sunday, a game Mina is expected to play some part in after making his debut last weekend.

The post Everton defender Yerry Mina: ‘Any Man Utd talk was just my agent’ appeared first on Squawka News.



From Squawka NewsSquawka News https://ift.tt/2OHUDDa

No comments:

Post a Comment