Torres: I want Liverpool to win the league before Chelsea

Fernando Torres has revealed that he would prefer Liverpool to win the Premier League title before Chelsea because the fans made him feel “at home”.

The former Atletico Madrid legend is now playing his football in Japan with Sagan Tosu but stated his fondness for Liverpool because it’s where he enjoyed the “best time” in his career.

Both Liverpool and Chelsea have made excellent starts to the season and they are two of three side unbeaten in the first 12 rounds of matches with leaders Manchester City the other.

Torres enjoyed a prolific time at Anfield with the Spaniard scoring 65 goals in 102 Premier League appearances before he joined Chelsea in acrimonious circumstances. The player handed in a transfer request in order to force a move to Stamford Bridge for a then British transfer record of £50m.

His time with the Blues was less successful as the striker failed to adapt to a different system and injuries curtailed his form. His spell at Chelsea saw him score just 20 league goals in 110 appearances but he still won the 2012 FA Cup and Champions League and the 2013 Europa League.

The 34-year-old is now playing his football in the Japanese J1 League but told Sky Sports he is still hoping both his former clubs have a successful season, even if he would rather Liverpool win the title.

“I want both of them to win every game and when they play each other I won’t watch the game!

“I have feelings for both of them. Liverpool was the best time in my career – I love the city, the supporters and the club.

“I am still in touch with them and they made me feel at home when I was there.

“And with Chelsea they gave me what I wanted as a player – trophies. I have great memories of my time at Chelsea so it is difficult to choose.

“At Chelsea there are still some team-mates that I played with but at Liverpool there is nobody there – only Alberto Moreno, who I played with at the national team.

“I am still in touch with the staff though so I wish them all the best. I know how important it is for Liverpool to win the Premier League.

“Hopefully they can win the Premier League and Chelsea can win it the year after.”

Who needs what to win the Premier League this season?

With both his former clubs performing well this season in the top flight, and assuming that 90 points will be enough to take home the title, who is more likely to win the Premier League this season?

Liverpool currently have the advantage in points with 30 accumulated after their first 12 games, two more than Chelsea.

The Reds would therefore need another 60 to reach the hallowed 90 mark while Chelsea would need to pick up 62 points. Both sides have 26 games left meaning there is 78 points to play for.

Liverpool require an average of 2.31 points per game to hit the target while Chelsea require 2.38. Current leaders Manchester City are, at the current rate of play, projected to get 101 points across the season but with the top sides all still having to play each other they will be unlikely to remain this consistent.

Chelsea host Manchester City in December with the Citizens hosting Liverpool on January 3. Chelsea face Liverpool and Manchester United, both away from home, in their last five games which could be crucial.

Liverpool are the only one of the three to finish the season at home when they face Wolves while Manchester City visit Brighton and Chelsea head to Leicester.

The post Torres: I want Liverpool to win the league before Chelsea appeared first on Squawka News.



From Squawka NewsSquawka News https://ift.tt/2z3ax5W

No comments:

Post a Comment