Mourinho: People don't know what went on at Man Utd "behind the scenes"

Jose Mourinho has suggested the negative view of his time as Manchester United manager was influenced by a failure to know what was going on “behind the scenes” at Old Trafford.

The former Chelsea and Real Madrid boss believes onlookers often comment on “what we see” rather than what is going on in the background of a club.

How does Mourinho view his Man Utd spell? Five key things to know…

  1. Mourinho won the EFL Cup and the Europa League in his first season at Manchester United.
  2. He failed to win a trophy during his second campaign at the club but led the team to second place in the Premier League.
  3. The Portuguese coach has said finishing second with United was one of the greatest achievements of his career.
  4. United suffered their fifth Premier League defeat of the season against Liverpool in December, resulting in Mourinho’s sacking.
  5. But the 55-year-old believes he still belongs in “top-level football” regardless of this season’s failings.

Mourinho was speaking to Qatari TV broadcaster beIN Sports, who he will work with as a pundit before planning a return to football management.

When the topic of Manchester United came up in his first interview with beIN, Mourinho was eager to defend his spell in the Old Trafford dugout.

“Sometimes we comment what we see but we don’t know what is behind the scenes, and that influences what we see” Mourinho said. “I think that is a fundamental thing.

“If I tell you for example that I consider one of the best jobs of my career to finish second with Manchester United in the Premier League, you say ‘this guy is crazy, he won 25 titles and is saying finishing second position was one of his best achievements in football’.

“I keep saying this because people don’t know what is going on behind the scenes. And sometimes we, on this side of the camera, we analyse things with a different perspective.”

Mourinho: “I belong to top-level football”

Mourinho has been sacked from his last two jobs after floundering in mid-table with Chelsea and Manchester United, despite initial success with both clubs.

Regardless of his recent struggles, Mourinho has won league titles in England, Spain, Italy and Portugal, as well as lifting the Champions League with Porto and Inter Milan.

And Mourinho still sees himself competing at a top club in the future.

He added: “I want to coach, I’m too young [to retire]. I’m in football for a long, long time. I’ll be 56 in a couple of weeks. Too young, really too young.

“Where I’m going to stay is where I belong. I belong to top football, I belong to top-level football and it is where I’m going to be.”

The post Jose Mourinho planning to land “top-level” job after Man Utd sacking appeared first on Squawka News.



From Squawka NewsSquawka News http://bit.ly/2RvO24I

No comments:

Post a Comment