Alex Iwobi grateful for guidance from ‘world class’ Mesut Ozil

Arsenal midfielder Alex Iwobi has hailed Mesut Ozil’s leadership qualities, calling them “world class”.

The Nigerian youngster pointed to Ozil’s leadership as a big reason he has developed so well at Arsenal.

The comments came after Arsenal dispatched Leicester City 3-1 in their latest Premier League victory, in which Ozil was the star.

The 30-year-old started the game as captain and played a part in all three goals, scoring the equaliser that cancelled out Hector Bellerin’s first half own goal.

He then grabbed an assist for Aubameyang’s second as the Gunners climbed into fourth place, level on points with both Chelsea and Spurs and only two adrift of early pace-setters Manchester City and Liverpool.

He was substituted with 10 minutes remaining and received a standing ovation from an appreciative Emirates crowd.

Team-mate Iwobi was delighted for his new captain after the game.

“I get the privilege to play with him every day,” he said.

“I have been training with him since I was 17 and I have seen what he can do. The quality he has in training and matches shows he is a world-class player and he proved that again [on Monday].

“He gives me advice in a different way. He jokes around but always tells me I can do more — even last night he was saying I can do more, he is always one of those guys.

“But he is always happy, always encouraging me and giving me the confidence to express myself. It is not just Mesut who is captain, there are lots of leaders. We are a team who just like to help each other so we are always giving information and communicating.

“Mesut will come across as laid-back but he is helping everyone in a different way and he helps me a lot.”

Iwobi thanks Emery

The 22-year-old, who has started in five of Arsenal’s last seven matches, believes his personal good form is down to the belief Unai Emery has instilled in him.

“He has just given me confidence to express myself, to believe in my ability. In training he is always –letting me try new things, be positive, be direct and prove it in the game. It is working for me so I just have to keep it going,” he told Standard Sport

“I feel that even if I make a mistake I am able to go again. I think that is the difference between me last year and this year.”

The victory against Leicester was the Gunners’ 10th consecutive win in all competitions for the first time since 2007, a fact Iwobi attributes to a great team chemistry.

“It shows that we are doing very well, that our manager has imposed a new style on us and we are enjoying our time. We are enjoying each other and the chemistry is good – not just the people starting but the people on the bench as well.”

The post Alex Iwobi grateful for guidance from ‘world class’ Mesut Ozil appeared first on Squawka News.



From Squawka NewsSquawka News https://ift.tt/2R7yfEE

No comments:

Post a Comment