Leroy Sane motivated by Kroos criticism and World Cup snub

Manchester City star Leroy Sane has revealed he is using his World Cup omission and the recent negative comments from Toni Kroos as incentives to improve his game.

Sane, 22, looked a certainty for the Germany World Cup squad this summer after his stellar club form last season, but manager Joachim Low surprisingly excluded the incisive winger in favour of more experienced players.

The move backfired as the 2014 winners crashed out at the group stage, but that did not stop the PFA Young Player of the Year coming under heavy criticism in the aftermath.

Real Madrid midfielder Kroos recently lambasted Sane after he returned to the Germany squad last month, criticising his attitude and lack of commitment to the national side.

However, Sane has not been deterred by the comments of his compatriot, instead using his words as motivation to strengthen his game.

“If I play bad, then it’s not like I don’t care,” Sane told reporters (via FourFourTwo). “I always want us to win our games.

“It’s OK for me that it might look different for other people. I also respect it when criticism is addressed personally. I’ll then try to work on it.

“I don’t have any problem with criticism. It’s an incentive to refine myself.

“Sure, I was disappointed when I heard that I wasn’t in the World Cup squad, but it motivated me even more and as I already said – I want to show everyone what I’ve got.

“I always try to enjoy the time on the field and to learn something when I play. I learned a lot in the last months.

“I always want to improve my game when I play, and I think that is what I did in the last months.”

The former Schalke winger is part of Die Mannschaft’s squad for their Nations League matches against the Netherlands on Saturday and France on Tuesday.

Sane this season

Sane started the season out-of-favour under Pep Guardiola, with the Spanish tactician reportedly unimpressed with his performances during the pre-season summer tour of America.

He was dropped from Guardiola’s match-day squad against Newcastle United last month and he also failed to start in the club’s opening four Premier League matches.

Since then, the 22- year-old has slowly started to weave his way back into first-team plans, starting the next three league matches following the Newcastle exclusion, though he found himself on the bench once more as City were held to a goalless draw against Liverpool last weekend.

READ MORE: Everything you need to know about Croatia v England

The post Leroy Sane motivated by Kroos criticism and World Cup snub appeared first on Squawka News.



From Squawka NewsSquawka News https://ift.tt/2Ek4UoX

No comments:

Post a Comment