Why Jose Mourinho wants Man Utd fans to stop singing his name

Manchester United manager Jose Mourinho wishes that instead of chanting his name, fans would change their tune and sing about the club.

It was looking like the curtain was about to close on Mourinho’s tenure at Old Trafford on Saturday afternoon after Newcastle United went 2-0 ahead in the first 10 minutes.

That looked even more likely when you consider the Daily Mirror had reported earlier on Saturday morning that the beleaguered Portuguese tactician would be shown the door regardless of what transpired against the Magpies that evening.

However, in a throwback to the Sir Alex Ferguson era, the Red Devils mounted a spirited comeback in the second half, winning the match 3-2 after strikes from Juan Mata, Anthony Martial and a winning header from Alexis Sanchez.

Even when Mourinho’s side went 2-0 down, the majority of United fans huddled inside Old Trafford didn’t lose their singing voices, and after the game they were chanting Mourinho’s name in unison, but Mourinho would rather they didn’t.

“I’m happy for the fans and for the players,” he told a news conference (via Goal).

“I’m amazed by that response [from the crowd]. I don’t want that, and if I could tell them to not do it, I would, because it is not about me. It is about the football club they love and the football club we represent with honour and dignity.”

Mourinho was particularly impressed by the crowd in remaining supportive, even when his side were trailing at the break.

“At half-time, we were losing 2-0 and the fans were magnificent to the team and that is fantastic.

“In my football memories, I remember when I beat Liverpool at Anfield 4-0 and I was amazed that the stadium was singing their song, but now I am in a situation where I’m losing 2-0 at home in a match everyone knows is important for us to win, and they were amazing.

“I am really grateful for that and my happiness about the victory is not for myself, it is for the fans and the players. The fans can go home with a feeling of victory.”

Despite their comeback on Saturday, United are still lagging behind in the Premier League, five points adrift of fourth-place Arsenal.

The pressure on the Red Devils is unlikely to ease in their next run of fixtures as they take on Chelsea at Stamford Bridge in the league after the international break; they then face Juventus in the Champions League three days later.

The post Why Jose Mourinho wants Man Utd fans to stop singing his name appeared first on Squawka News.



From Squawka NewsSquawka News https://ift.tt/2zWEoxy

No comments:

Post a Comment