Dimitar Berbatov: I told my agent to “f*ck off” when he mentioned Man City interest

Former Manchester United striker Dimitar Berbatov has revealed he told his agent to “F*ck off” when he was told of Manchester City interest.

The former Bulgarian international joined United in September 2008 from Tottenham Hotspur for a £30m fee, the same day that Robinho signed at Manchester City for £32.5m

Manchester City were still a couple of weeks away from being taken over by the Abu Dhabi United Group following a ninth-placed finish the season before.

Manchester United had won the previous two Premier League titles and were crowned Champions League winners in the May before Berbatov joined.

Berbatov was told that City were interested in signing him but he had absolutely no interest in going to anywhere other than Old Trafford.

“I don’t think it was that close, to be honest. My agent told me about some interest but I said, ‘Don’t even bother mentioning anyone else, I’m going to Man United,’ because of the history, the players, the tradition, everything,” he told FFT.

“I think it was the night before City signed Robinho from Real Madrid and my agent said, ‘Berba, there’s another team in for you’. I said, ‘F*ck off, we’re going to Man United’. He said, ‘But they’ll give you more money!’

“It’s not all about the money sometimes, though. I was like a horse with blinkers. For me, it was the right decision because going to the top of the mountain was my dream, especially when you come from Eastern Europe, from a small town, and no one’s done it before you. It was a great feeling.”

Manchester City have since won three Premier League titles, including reaching the 100 point mark in their title win last season. They will be looking to defend their title this season as they try to also win their first Champions League trophy.

Manchester United have had a solid start, yet frustration about the lack of new signings in the summer has left many people speculating about Jose Mourinho’s future at Old Trafford.

Manchester United face Watford next at Vicarage Road with the Hornets making a 100 per cent start to the season along with Liverpool and Chelsea.

The post Dimitar Berbatov: I told my agent to “f*ck off” when he mentioned Man City interest appeared first on Squawka News.



From Squawka NewsSquawka News https://ift.tt/2wKPqnD

No comments:

Post a Comment