Ozil plays down comparisons with Arsenal legend Bergkamp

Arsenal playmaker Mesut Ozil admits he is honoured to be compared to club legend Dennis Bergkamp, though he has soft-pedaled any comparisons.

Ozil, 29, has been likened to the “Non-Flying Dutchman” for his elegance on the ball and nonchalant style of play, and while he takes immense pride in such a comparison, the German wants to be remembered for his own achievements.

Marking his 200th appearance for the club across all competitions over the weekend, Ozil produced a starring performance against strugglers Newcastle United, scoring the Gunners’ second goal of the match in a 2-1 victory at St James’ Park.

Ozil signed a new long-term contract in February, keeping him in north London until 2021, and he has lauded the influence of the Arsenal faithful for giving him a platform to thrive on.

Speaking to the club’s official website, he said: “The fans have backed me ever since I arrived five years ago and because of that, I’ve been able to play in my preferred style. I always want to control the game, give assists and help my team.

“It was like that with me from the start. In my position you have many possibilities playing forward. You can demand the balls, make telling passes or score yourself.

“I’ve been told so many times over the years that this is how Bergkamp played. Of course that makes me proud and it is an honour to be compared with him. Bergkamp is a living legend at Arsenal and he was an amazing football player.

“But I do not want to compare myself with anybody. I have my own style and I’ve had it since I was a kid. I am proud of these comparisons, but I am Mesut Ozil and I’m not finished yet.”

Arsenal next face Ukrainian outfit Vorskla Poltava in the Europa League on Thursday before taking on Everton on Sunday.

Bergkamp: An Arsenal legend

During a trophy-laden career in north London, Bergkamp formed a formidable partnership with Thierry Henry, dovetailing just behind the lethal French marksman in a second striker role, which he became recognised for.

The Dutchman appeared 394 times for the Gunners in all competitions, scoring 105 goals and registering 63 assists during his 11-year spell at the club.

Originally signed by Bruce Rioch in 1995, Bergkamp would ultimately flourish under the tutelage of Arsene Wenger, clinching three Premier League titles in that time, as well as four FA Cups.

Alongside the likes of Eric Cantona and Gianfranco Zola, Bergkamp was also credited with revolutionising the way football was played in the Premier League during the late 90s and early 2000s due to his habit of playing between opposition lines.

The post Ozil plays down comparisons with Arsenal legend Bergkamp appeared first on Squawka News.



From Squawka NewsSquawka News https://ift.tt/2MLmm4V

No comments:

Post a Comment