Shaqiri: I hope my experience can help push Liverpool to title

Xherdan Shaqiri says his trophy-winning experience with Bayern Munich can help Liverpool win silverware this season.

The winger, who joined Liverpool from Stoke City over the summer, won eight major honours during his time as a Bayern player, including two Bundesliga titles and the 2012-13 Champions League.

He also won three Swiss Super League titles with Basel, who he left for Bayern in 2012.

A trophyless spell with Inter Milan – followed by a three-year stint at Stoke – followed his successful stay in Germany, but Shaqiri insists he has the experience to win silverware at Anfield.

“As a new player I want to show my football,” Shaqiri told the club’s official website. “Most of the players know me already from the Premier League and from Bayern and I have a good amount of experience.

“I won many titles with Bayern and I want to try to give this experience to this Liverpool team which is still young and try to help them win something.”

Liverpool haven’t won a trophy since their League Cup success of 2011/12, while their last league title was back in 1989-90.

The Merseysiders came incredibly close to winning the Champions League last season, reaching the final only to lose 3-1 against Real Madrid.

Jurgen Klopp has been credited as the reason behind his side’s re-emergence as Premier League title contenders, and Shaqiri says he jumped at the chance to work with the German over the summer.

He added: “He’s a very good coach, but for me the character he has is also important. He has a very nice character, you can joke with him, but of course you have to be focused on the pitch and give everything.

“You can see the relationship he has with the players all the time, he’s very friendly in speaking with them, and that was important for me in coming here and working with him.

“I knew him from Germany when I was at Bayern and he was manager of Dortmund. He wanted me to come to Liverpool and I wanted to work with him so I am very happy to reunite with him.”

Liverpool travel to Wembley to take on Tottenham in the Premier League on Saturday in a fixture they lost 4-1 last season.

The post Shaqiri: I hope my experience can help push Liverpool to title appeared first on Squawka News.



From Squawka NewsSquawka News https://ift.tt/2OmIG6w

No comments:

Post a Comment