Alvaro Morata details his Chelsea experience in final days of Antonio Conte’s reign

Chelsea and Spain forward Alvaro Morata has opened up about his difficulties at Chelsea last season and admitted that at one stage he “did not want to speak to anybody”.

The former Real Madrid striker arrived at Stamford Bridge for a fee in the region of £60m in the summer of 2017 following the departure of previous first choice striker Diego Costa.

After seven goals in his first seven appearances, it looked as if the Spaniard was going to be a real asset for the Blues, only for an injury to halt his progress.

He struggled to regain his form and was left out of Spain’s squad for the World Cup. Chelsea manager Maurizio Sarri has opted to select Oliver Giroud ahead of him in recent weeks.

Morata has admitted that last season was a real struggle for him in the build-up to the sacking of former boss Antonio Conte.

“I’ve learned many things from last season. It was very difficult for me,” the Chelsea forward said in an interview with Spanish newspaper El Mundo.

“I left home to play the World Cup and I wasn’t included in the squad anyway.

“Now that my two sons are born I can control my emotions a bit better, both the positive and negative ones. I am happy when I am outside the pitch.”

Controlling emotions

The 25-year-old has netted two goals in his last two outings for Chelsea, having scored in the Europa League against Vidi and in the Premier League against Southampton earlier this month.

Morata was visibly upset after his goal against Vidi and has admitted that he puts a lot of pressure on himself to score goals.

“I’d like to be happier when I play. I need to score more goals in order to be happier. I was really sad a few months ago.

“I wasn’t depressed but I didn’t live my situation very well. People used to love me, I scored seven goals in the first seven games at Chelsea.

“Then I got injured and I was playing even if I was feeling pain. There was lot of tension and I didn’t want to speak to anybody.

“One day my wife told me that I wasn’t handling the situation in the right way. I was angry because I thought she was against me too.”

The Spain striker will be hoping to start Chelsea’s next game against Manchester United as the next round of Premier League fixtures commence this weekend.

The post Alvaro Morata details his Chelsea experience in final days of Antonio Conte’s reign appeared first on Squawka News.



From Squawka NewsSquawka News https://ift.tt/2CsEejw

No comments:

Post a Comment