Bernd Leno hopes to learn from Cech at Arsenal

Arsenal goalkeeper Bernd Leno has admitted he hopes to finally learn from Petr Cech having previously faced his new teammate at their former clubs.

Leno’s Bayer Leverkusen were drawn against Cech and Chelsea in the group stages of the 2011/12 Champions League, with both sides winning their home matches.

The German goalkeeper was Unai Emery’s second new signing after taking charge of the Gunners this summer, following Stephan Lichtsteiner.

And despite facing off against Cech now for the spot as Arsenal’s number one, Leno is eager to learn from his new teammate.

“Petr had a big career with many, many trophies and he’s still a big goalkeeper and a big personality,” he said (via the Daily Express).

“But I have to look at myself and play my game, work every day, very hard, to be the first choice of the coach.

“I will learn a lot working with him every day. He has big experience and played many games. I have a lot of experience too, but he has much more, so I can learn from him.

“He is a goalkeeper I admired when I was growing up. I can remember my first game in the Champions League, when I was 19, was against Petr. After the game he said it was a good game for me.

“It was seven years ago and now we are together at Arsenal, it’s crazy.”

Arsenal kick off their Premier League campaign against champions Manchester City on August 12, a baptism of fire for new head coach Emery.

Leno vs Cech – who should be Arsenal’s number one

Despite the inclusion of David Ospina in the Arsenal squad, many believe it will be a straight shootout between Leno and Cech for the starting spot in goal.

Cech was the Gunners’ number one when fit last season, playing 34 games in the Premier League and conceding 48 goals. The former Chelsea man also kept 11 clean sheets and averaged 1.8 saves per goal conceded.

While in the Bundesliga with Leverkusen, Leno conceded 40 goals in 33 games while keeping 10 clean sheets. The German averaged 1.75 saves per goal conceded.

The post Bernd Leno hopes to learn from Cech at Arsenal appeared first on Squawka News.



From Squawka NewsSquawka News https://ift.tt/2LPp51w

No comments:

Post a Comment