Loris Karius: Jurgen Klopp wanted me to stay at Liverpool

Loris Karius claims Liverpool manager Jurgen Klopp wanted to keep him at Anfield this summer, despite his errors in the Reds’ Champions League final defeat in May.

The German goalkeeper was presented as a Besiktas player on Wednesday, after signing for the Turkish club on an initial two-year loan deal, which could be made permanent for around £10m.

Alisson’s £67m arrival from Roma was always likely to see some of Liverpool’s goalkeepers depart, but it was Simon Mignolet who was expected to move on having lost his place to Karius last season.

Karius has now hinted that it was his decision to leave the club, with Klopp keen to keep him as an option this season.

“Jurgen Klopp told me he would like to have me in the squad because he wants to have the best quality players,” he told reporters in Istanbul, via Goal.

“But I spoke to him, I told him my wish and that it was important for me to make this move and play for Besiktas.

“I talked with him for a long time and he understands my situation. Then, I think it was a good deal for everyone so he wished me well but he said he would have liked to keep me, yes.”

The right move for Karius?

Klopp has always supported Karius, despite a difficult time for the 25-year-old following the events of last season’s Champions League final.

Karius’ comments suggest the Liverpool boss would have preferred to keep him over Mignolet this summer, but it seems the former Mainz goalkeeper has decided that a fresh start elsewhere would be best.

He was given a hero’s welcome by a number of fanatic Besiktas fans upon his arrival in Turkey last weekend.

Liverpool play Leicester City away in the league at the weekend, while Besiktas take on Partizan Belgrade in the Europa League tomorrow.

 

The post Loris Karius: Jurgen Klopp wanted me to stay at Liverpool appeared first on Squawka News.



From Squawka NewsSquawka News https://ift.tt/2wuNpLv

No comments:

Post a Comment