Danny Rose all but rules out Spurs exit

Tottenham Hotspur left-back Danny Rose is expecting to still be at the club past the European transfer window close on Friday, despite interest from overseas.

Rose, 28, has been on the periphery of first-team action since sustaining multiple knee injury over the last two years, being displaced by Ben Davies.

Last summer, while injured, Rose admitted he’d like to play for a “northern” football club to be nearer his birthplace of Leeds.

Having fallen down the pecking order and being seemingly out of favour with Mauricio Pochettino, speculation had been gaining traction that the Englishman could leave north London before this summer’s European window slams shut.

However, Rose started his first match of the season on Monday night as his side humbled Manchester United 3-0 at Old Trafford, and now he is expecting to rival Davies this term and even supplant the Welsh defender.

Speaking to Sky Sports, Rose revealed his desire to stay and fight for the left-back berth: “The manager has spoken to us all a couple of weeks ago and said everybody starts from zero.

“We all have to start again trying to impress him and that’s great. We all go again.

“I’m good. I’m not listening to the speculation about my future.

“If I’m here past Friday, which I’m expecting to be, which will be great, I’m looking forward to seeing what we can achieve at the end of the season.

“We’re (Rose and Pochettino) both aware of the situation. (Monday) was massive for me that, even though there is speculation, he still trusts and believes in me to put me into such a massive game, a game where he didn’t need to change anything.

“For me, over the last four or five years we’ve worked together, that is probably the biggest thing he has done for me.”

Rose endured a tough return to first-team action after being restored to the starting XI, as his poor backpass to Hugo Lloris in the first-half sent Romelu Lukaku through on goal, though his blushes were spared after the Belgian marksman fluffed his lines.

The Leeds academy graduate was playing in his first match since featuring for England at the World Cup, and he acknowledged he was slightly rusty.

He added: “I had a very poor first half but I felt I got better in the second half.

“We got a clean sheet, we scored goals and we forget about it, go to a difficult game on Sunday (at Watford) and look to keep going with the momentum that we’ve got now.”

Spurs face a short trip next as they travel to Vicarage Road to take on Watford.

The post Danny Rose all but rules out Spurs exit appeared first on Squawka News.



From Squawka NewsSquawka News https://ift.tt/2wmynYY

No comments:

Post a Comment