Jamie Carragher reveals Brendan Rodgers’ U-turn on a coaching job for him at Liverpool

Former Liverpool defender Jamie Carragher has explained how Brendan Rodgers offered him a job as part of his coaching staff when he first joined the club in 2012, before changing his mind days later.

Rodgers was appointed at Anfield before the 2012/13 season following a successful stint as Swansea City manager and brought his assistant Colin Pascoe with him.

But it soon became clear that Rodgers wanted to add further to his coaching staff, and it is at this stage that Carragher says he was offered a job.

Writing in his column for The Telegraph, Carragher said: “The first time I met Brendan Rodgers he offered me a job.

“After joining Liverpool as manager in 2012 he told me he wanted me on his backroom team. I accepted the offer.

“The second time I met him he had changed his mind and decided to promote Mike Marsh from the academy instead.

“I’m not sure what happened in those couple of weeks but I often wonder what might have been. Maybe I would still be at Liverpool rather than working in the media.

“Maybe I would have been bitten by the coaching bug and going through the same emotions as Steven Gerrard this weekend, coming up against a manager I worked with and using all my experience of how he works to try and get the better of him.”

Where would Carragher be now?

Mike Marsh worked alongside Rodgers and Pascoe for three years but was then told that his contract with Liverpool would not be renewed past the 2014/15 season, with Pascoe also moving on.

Sean Driscoll and Gary McAllister were then drafted in by Rodgers in the summer of 2015 but Jürgen Klopp and his staff took over later that year.

Would Carragher have still had a role at Liverpool? It may have been that he’d have taken charge of one of the club’s academy sides just as Gerrard did last season. Things could have been very different.

The post Jamie Carragher reveals Brendan Rodgers’ U-turn on a coaching job for him at Liverpool appeared first on Squawka News.



From Squawka NewsSquawka News https://ift.tt/2wxauht

No comments:

Post a Comment