Zappacosta casts doubt on Chelsea future amid interest from Inter

Chelsea defender Davide Zappacosta has opened the door on a possible Blues exit, claiming Inter Milan are interested in the Italian.

Zappacosta, 26, has sat on the periphery of first-team action since signing for the west London club in 2017, failing to break into Antonio Conte’s starting XI during his maiden campaign.

In total, the former-Torino defender mustered 12 Premier League starts last season, and he is yet to make an appearance under the newly-appointed Maurizio Sarri this term.

As such, Zappacosta has now welcomed the opportunity to return to his homeland while the European transfer window remains open.

Speaking to Corriere dello Sport, he said: “Could I return to Italy? Yes, Inter had been after me.

“My agent Alessandro Lucci had told me about their interest, although I’ve always remained focused on Chelsea.”

Conte’s revolutionary 3-5-2 system required intensely energetic full-backs, and with Victor Moses playing as a fully-functioning right-back, Zappacosta remained on the fringes of first-team action.

With Sarri reintroducing a flat-back four, Moses has now made way for the more experienced Cesar Azpilicueta to occupy the right-back slot, pushing Zappacosta further down the pecking order.

Despite this, the Italy international is determined to give his all and fight for a position in the Blues’ starting XI, though he refused to rule out a move in the winter transfer window should a deal with Inter not come to fruition in the coming days.

He added: “Could I return in January? I have three more years on my contract here and I only want to think about doing well with Chelsea.

“There’s a lot of competition here, but I want to win a place in the team. After that, it’s clear that if I didn’t find much room, I don’t think any player would like that.”

Chelsea will look to make it four wins from four matches when they host Bournemouth this weekend.

The post Zappacosta casts doubt on Chelsea future amid interest from Inter appeared first on Squawka News.



From Squawka NewsSquawka News https://ift.tt/2N1OC7s

No comments:

Post a Comment