Why Sadio Mane’s moves to Man Utd and Dortmund broke down

Liverpool forward Sadio Mane has revealed that he came close to signing for both Manchester United and Borussia Dortmund earlier in his career.

In a sly dig towards Liverpool’s arch-rivals Manchester United, the Reds’ No 10 added that ‘the wrong team wanted me.’

United’s interest in Mane was well-documented at the time, with former Red Devils boss Louis van Gaal keen to sign him from Southampton in 2016.

Mane, 26, has now admitted that he even met up with van Gaal before deciding against the move. Speaking in an interview with SuperSport (via Goal), the Reds forward said: “I couldn’t believe it.

“Some teams wanted me – Manchester (United), the wrong team wanted me.

“Of course, I spoke with Van Gaal, and they even made an offer. But for me it was not the right club, it was not the right moment. To feel this – the right moment, the right coach, the right club.”

The Senegal international went on to explain how interest from Liverpool the following summer was just too good to turn down.

But he has also confirmed that he had the opportunity to link up with Jurgen Klopp earlier in his career, when Borussia Dortmund wanted to sign him from Red Bull Salzburg in 2014.

“Yes, I met him, I spoke with him about it.

“Salzburg were asking for 25 million (euros), that was too expensive at that time, because I was playing in the Austrian league, no disrespect.

“I was not that good for 25 million and that’s why I didn’t go there.”

Life at Liverpool

Mane is now relishing his time at Liverpool and has praised the atmosphere and family feel around the club.

The forward already has three goals to his name this season and continues to impress alongside Mohamed Salah and Roberto Firmino in attack.

He added: “Liverpool is different to many clubs I know and I have been.

“It’s like family, the people are so close and especially the players. It’s something that makes us stronger because you can also see on the pitch how close we are, so I think it’s also important for teams to have this kind of friendship in and out of the pitch as well.”

Mane and his team-mates will be looking to make it four wins from four when they travel to Leicester in the Premier League this weekend.

The post Why Sadio Mane’s moves to Man Utd and Dortmund broke down appeared first on Squawka News.



From Squawka NewsSquawka News https://ift.tt/2C2WrFu

No comments:

Post a Comment