Lucas Moura says his PSG spell under Unai Emery was the worst seven months of his life

Tottenham Hotspur midfielder Lucas Moura has admitted he endured the worst seven months of his career under current Arsenal boss Unai Emery at PSG. 

Lucas joined Spurs from Paris Saint-Germain in January and, after an initial slow start to life in London, the Brazilian has hit the ground running this season.

In Paris Lucas played under Emery for 18 months, with the Spaniard having taken over at PSG in 2016.

And despite a good first season, Lucas has now revealed his second campaign under Emery was the worst spell of his career to date.

“It was very hard, the worst seven months of my life,” he told ESPN Brazil (via the Mirror).

“I came from a very good season, I was second top scorer of the team, only behind Cavani.

“The following season, I wasn’t even called up. I used to go to practice, I wasn’t even in the game. I used to go back home.

“Anyway, it was very difficult. But I kept working hard, strong. And God gave me the best gift of life, my son.”

Lucas has now scored three goals in three games this season including two against Manchester United in a 3-0 win for Spurs at Old Trafford.

And the Brazilian admitted he had to improve to get up to the standards of the Premier League.

He added: “We only have a clue when we’re watching. When I started playing here I saw that it really is very competitive, very dynamic. Work here is very hard.

“I have grown a lot in this physical part, added that in my game. The game is here and there. In France, it’s a little more physical strength, not as intense as here. This is doing me very well, it is improving my game. I’ve grown a lot, evolving a lot.

“Everyone told me that my football is similar to the Premier League, that here I would get along very well. I’ve been through it. But it’s just the beginning.”

Spurs are one of four Premier League clubs with a 100 per cent record so far and will be looking to extend that when they take on Watford – another of those four clubs – on Sunday.

Lucas under Emery

When Emery took over as PSG boss in 2016, Lucas was a regular starter for the French champions and that continued in the Spaniard’s first season in charge.

During the 2016/17 campaign, Lucas played 53 games across all competitions, scoring 19 goals and recording 10 assists: winning the Coupe de la Ligue and Coupe de France as well as the French Super Cup.

But his second year brought just seven appearances in the first half of the season, all of which came from the substitute’s bench, leading to Lucas’ departure in January 2018.

The post Lucas Moura says his PSG spell under Unai Emery was the worst seven months of his life appeared first on Squawka News.



From Squawka NewsSquawka News https://ift.tt/2NxMnWi

No comments:

Post a Comment