Kurt Zouma sets sights on long-term Chelsea career despite second successive loan spell

Kurt Zouma has refused to turn his back on a long-term future with Chelsea despite agreeing to spend another season away from the club on loan.

The 23-year-old defender, who signed a new six-year contract with Chelsea last year, was part of the Stoke City side who suffered relegation to the Championship last season.

This term he will spend the campaign with Everton after making a season-long loan move to Goodison Park in the final hour of the transfer deadline day.

Zouma has made 71 appearances for Chelsea across all competitions. However, he featured only 13 times during his last full season with the Blues in 2016/17.

But, despite being sent out on loan again by new manager Maurizio Sarri, Zouma hasn’t given up on his Chelsea career just yet.

“I will go back [to Chelsea], yes,” he said, according to FourFourTwo. “I have always believed in myself since I started playing football at 16. I have always wanted to show myself at Chelsea since I have been there.

“I know my injuries stopped me in the way I wanted to play but injuries are part of football and I want to show people I can come back and play there. That’s why I need some game time at Everton here because they are a good team.

“The manager arrived late and we didn’t know what was the plan of the club. At Chelsea, there were a lot of defenders. I knew I needed to play regularly so I didn’t want to stay on the bench and wait for my chance after two or three months, so that’s why I wanted to go.

“I spoke with the manager and he agreed with me. I knew at Chelsea they had five central defenders already. He plays with four at the back, so there are only two who play. I didn’t want to wait and he completely agreed.”

Zouma played 34 league games for Stoke last season and was part of a defence that conceded 68 goals in 2017/18 – only West Ham United conceded as many. However, Zouma was one of the few players to come out at the end of the season with his head held high as he made a team-high 61 interceptions and 232 clearances.

The centre-back made his Everton debut in Wednesday’s 3-1 victory over Rotherham United at Goodison Park in the EFL Cup.

And, given Everton’s injury and suspension troubles in defence, he could be in line to make his first Premier League start for the club at home against Huddersfield Town on Saturday.

The post Kurt Zouma sets sights on long-term Chelsea career despite second successive loan spell appeared first on Squawka News.



From Squawka NewsSquawka News https://ift.tt/2PRx8ch

No comments:

Post a Comment