Antonio Cassano retires for the third time since 2017

Former Italy striker Antonio Cassano has announced his retirement from football after an eight day stint with Serie C side Virtus Entella.

This isn’t the first time Cassano, 36, has come to a decision to hang up his boots. In July of last year, he revealed he had chosen to retire, again just eight days after joining a new club, Hellas Verona, in this case.

However, hours later, the ex-Roma forward did a total u-turn, claiming he was determined to have an excellent season for his side.

Six days after that he went back on his decision again and has not played a league match since May 2016.

After a year of inactivity, in August, Cassano announced he was looking to get back into football. He started a trial with Virtus Entella earlier this month but has decided his career in the game is now finished for good.

“I want to thank all the friends and teammates I worked with over the years, the opponents, the coaches and directors (yes, even those I had arguments with),” Cassano said.

“Above all, I want to salute the fans, those on my side and in opposition, because without them football would not exist.

“Football has given me so much. It allowed me to meet magnificent people, great champions and common folk. It took me off the street, gave me a marvellous family and above all allowed me to have so much fun.

“In these days I figured out that I no longer have the drive to practice regularly, to play football you need passion and talent but especially determination.”

What’s next for Antonio Cassano?

Despite his lack of motivation, the 36-year-old says he still adores football.

“Still today, whenever I watch a game, I remain hypnotised. It’s the best sport in the world. Yes, I know, if I’d had another personality I could’ve won more and played better, but believe me, I nonetheless experienced incredible emotions and today have the only things that really matter. My family, friends and zero regrets,” Cassano said.

The iconic Italian forward claims he’s now excited to see what ‘the second half of his life’ has in store for him.

“Now the second half of my life begins, I am curious and fired up to prove first of all to myself that I can do good things even without the help of my feet.”

The post Antonio Cassano retires for the third time since 2017 appeared first on Squawka News.



From Squawka NewsSquawka News https://ift.tt/2Pwn9J7

No comments:

Post a Comment