Michael Carrick: How Sir Alex Ferguson broke retirement news to Man Utd players

Michael Carrick has revealed how Sir Alex Ferguson became “emotional” when announcing his decision to step down as Manchester United manager in 2013.

The legendary Scottish coach brought the curtain down on an illustrious 26-year managerial stint which saw him lift 13 league titles, five FA Cups and two European Cups with the club.

His final season ended with the Red Devils winning their 20th championship, but ahead of its conclusion Ferguson told his squad that it would be his last in charge. However the news had been leaked to the press which infuriated the Glaswegian tactician.

“I took in every detail. The boss began speaking and became quite emotional,” he wrote in his autobiography Between the Lines.

“Look, boys, I didn’t want to do it this way. I wanted you to be the first to know. I’m really disappointed how it’s come out. I really did want to be telling you first, but I’ve been forced to tell you now because it’s come out last night. Someone’s leaked it.

“He was fuming about that. There couldn’t have been many people who knew. He mentioned Lady Cathy’s sister passing away.

“I feel that I owe it to my wife to be with her and look after her. It’s been unbelievable and thanks for everything, I’ve loved every minute. I don’t really want to go, but I’ve got to take this decision.'”

Carrick at Old Trafford

Carrick, who hung up his boots in the summer and subsequently joined Jose Mourinho’s backroom staff, joined the Red Devils in the summer of 2006 after long impressing Ferguson at his two previous clubs West Ham – where he made his senior professional debut after he was promoted from the Hammers esteemed academy – and Tottenham Hotspur.

Since arriving he’d go on to make no fewer than 464 appearances registering 23 goals and 36 assists in the process. A regular presence under Ferguson he’d play a pivotal role in United clinching five Premier League titles and the 2008 Champions League at Chelsea’s expense.

United take on Chelsea in the Premier League this weekend.

The post Michael Carrick: How Sir Alex Ferguson broke retirement news to Man Utd players appeared first on Squawka News.



From Squawka NewsSquawka News https://ift.tt/2QZrHrv

No comments:

Post a Comment