Spurs star Son confesses agitation at Asian Games

Tottenham Hotspur star Son Heung-min has admitted he couldn’t sleep the night before the Asian Games final in which he won a gold medal with South Korea.

Son and the rest of his Asian Games-winning teammates are now exempt from mandatory military service – which would have seen the South Korean leave Spurs for 21 months – after their achievement in Indonesia.

And the 26-year-old, who has scored 47 goals in 143 appearances for Tottenham since arriving from Bayer Leverkusen in 2015, has confessed he was anxious ahead of last month’s final against Japan, which South Korea won 2-1 after extra time.

“Honestly, in the final, I was a little bit nervous,” Son said in an interview with BBC Sport. “At night I couldn’t sleep, I was very nervous.

“It was a gamble, but I was confident. I was very proud to win this tournament for my country.”

The Son also rises

Widely considered South Korea’s best player, Son’s anxiety was emphasised by the fact he didn’t find the net throughout the Asian Games – he is also yet to score for Spurs this season.

But the former Hamburg forward insists he is eager to continue the rise he has experienced at Tottenham over the last two seasons.

He told Sky Sports: “Now I’m back, of course I want to give a present to the team and the fans after coming back from the Asian Games, get some confidence back and of course, it’s more important we win, but I will try if I play to score some goals to get the feeling back.”

Son and Spurs face Cardiff City at Wembley in the Premier League this weekend following Wednesday night’s Champions League clash with Barcelona.

The post Spurs star Son confesses agitation at Asian Games appeared first on Squawka News.



From Squawka NewsSquawka News https://ift.tt/2zLvmDy

No comments:

Post a Comment